PDA

View Full Version : booting slow...

konjo
14th November 2007, 10:11 AM
when my fedora 8 boots up, everything is okay, except that it lasts long. and here's the longest part :
"Bringing up interface wlan0"
"Determining IP information for wlan0"

and this lasts over 50% of total boot time. should it be this way?
what is wlan0? do i need it?

Saint Mike
14th November 2007, 11:17 AM
have you installed vmware?

Try changing your Ip to Static and see if that makes a difference. As for the wlan0 :S might this be something to do with wireless?(never had anything to do with wireless) You could try disabling the interface in system-config-network

konjo
14th November 2007, 12:59 PM
Yes i do have a wireless thingy ( router ), so another computer ( which has windows ) can acsees internet. But this is useless in Linux. So i would like to disable it. i have tried to do so, but i get the error :
"cannot deactivate network device wlan0!"
and an empty box with "usage: ifdown <device name>" text in it.

When i said it was 50% of the time i was wrong, it's more than 90%, acctualy it lasts for one minute.

konjo
14th November 2007, 01:00 PM
[konjo@localhost ~]$ yum search vmware
xorg-x11-drv-vmware.i386 : Xorg X11 vmware video driver

vmware ?

how can i make my IP static ?

Dan
14th November 2007, 01:03 PM
Morning Konjo.

I believe there is a setting under menu item: System>networking> which allows you to uncheck "start networking on start up" or something like that. Anyway, uncheck that and check the "allow users to control this device" box. You will need to enter your root password to make these changes. It will call for it when it needs it.

That should stop it from hunting an IP until it's up and runiing, and you ask it to connect.

Dan

konjo
14th November 2007, 01:08 PM
Morning Konjo.

I believe there is a setting under menu item: System>networking> which allows you to uncheck "start networking on start up" or something like that. Anyway, uncheck that and check the "allow users to control this device" box. You will need to enter your root password to make these changes. It will call for it when it needs it.

That should stop it from hunting an IP until it's up and runiing, and you ask it to connect.

Dan
Morning.
and thanks for the help, everything is working now.

Dan
14th November 2007, 01:28 PM
You're welcome.