PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest question on the forum

guy42de26
14th November 2007, 03:32 AM
I'm using Fedora 6. Would someone refresh my memory: I've downloaded Fedora 8 iso but for the life of me, I can't remember how to make a bootable disk to load into the computer. So far I've wasted 5 DVD's. Just point me toward the explanation and I'll forever be grateful.

Really, much thanks.

David

Dan
14th November 2007, 03:35 AM
Hmmm. Ok. If you're in Gnome, it's pretty simple. Pop in a blank DVD, wait for the icon to come up, then find the iso file, right click it, select "write to disc" and then make sure it's targeting the right drive in the next dialog. BTW, check the sha1sum first! You may also want to slow the burn down a little. I noticed it collected errors on mine when I burned it too fast.

That help?

Dan

rexbinary
14th November 2007, 03:37 AM
There is nothing special to do in the burning process for it to be bootable. Are you sure your boot order is right in your BIOS for booting off DVD? Can you boot other DVDs? If both are true, then you could have a bad download, bad media, or maybe a problem with your hardware.

Dan
14th November 2007, 03:41 AM
Hey Plano! Hello from Paris!

Dan

rexbinary
14th November 2007, 03:52 AM
Well Hello Paris! Is it cold so far North from Dallas? ;)

Dan
14th November 2007, 03:54 AM
68F and a jewel of an evening! But not near as crowded! <..:p..>

GallComp
14th November 2007, 03:56 AM
68F and a jewel of an evening! But not near as crowded! <..:p..>
And the internet service sucks in Paris.... :p

Dan
14th November 2007, 03:59 AM
Ayup! It does at that. <..:p..> Anybody else running SuddenLink was out too, though. The customer service reps were fielding calls from all over the country.

tw2113
14th November 2007, 06:14 AM
back to the original question. You have to burn the ISO as a dvd image

metalworm
14th November 2007, 11:15 AM
Using K3b with nice GUI. It can run in Gnome also.

Saint Mike
14th November 2007, 11:30 AM
Depending on your bios alot of them give you an option(even if they sometimes dont say its there) that lets you choose what ya wana boot. Try pressiong F10 alot when your computer is starting up ;- ) then just choose your Cd drive

mlavalle
15th November 2007, 02:40 AM
If you are using Gnome, right click on the ISO and select "Write to disc..." from the context menu.