PDA

View Full Version : Filesystems in Fedora 8

SimpleSimon
13th November 2007, 08:13 PM
I just read in the "Unofficial Fedora FAQ (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#reiserjfs)" that Reiser, JFS and XFS are not supported in Fedora.

Is this still the case? Will I truly run into issues if I use XFS on Fedora 8?

fnmblot
13th November 2007, 09:40 PM
ext3 is a really good filesystem. Is there any reason you need to use XFS?

SimpleSimon
14th November 2007, 12:07 AM
ext3 is a really good filesystem. Is there any reason you need to use XFS?
There will be MANY large files, CD images, video, etc. as this is our major file server. It's not crucial that we use XFS, but we'd like to use whatever tools are most appropriate for the job.

Is there any reason to avoid XFS?

Drive is a logical volume, on a 3x500gig RAID5 array - soon to be 4x500gig.

stevea
15th January 2008, 02:18 PM
The unofficial FAQ doesn't really say that (currently), and if it ever did it was wrong. XFS , Reiserfs, JFS, HFS, HFSplus are all supported and work well. All the kernel modules and basic tools for these are present.

You should be aware that selinux requires a context associated with every file under it's control. I have no idea what it does w/o context, but I would guess that not all these file systems support local context in the directory structure.

forkbomb
15th January 2008, 03:32 PM
I just read in the "Unofficial Fedora FAQ (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#reiserjfs)" that Reiser, JFS and XFS are not supported in Fedora.

Is this still the case? Will I truly run into issues if I use XFS on Fedora 8?
Although it's true that you can't format partitions with this filesystem using the Fedora disc (at least last time I checked), you can mount those types of filesystems fine but you may need some packages - on second thought I'm not sure if support for all those FSs is completely kernel-side (it's just that the Fedora installer won't touch those filesystems).

(In other news, ReiserFS may die if Hans Reiser loses his murder trial, so using Reiser might be a bad idea because its longterm future is uncertain. However, for now, it's a darn good file system that I've been known to use on my /home partition.)