PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Flash Player on Fedora

Pain of
12th November 2007, 09:31 PM
I am new to Fedora x86-64 (testng it), and its a really good distro. But I am trying to install flash player. It seems that the .rmp package from adobe's site is offline. If I add the adobe's repository to yum, I get this error: "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: adobe-linux. Please verify its path and try again"

So, how should I install flash player on Fedora?

glennzo
12th November 2007, 09:45 PM
Wait a bit and try again. Sometimes it seems that if you wait 20 minutes or so all will be well in yum land.

Pain of
12th November 2007, 10:11 PM
Ok, thanks!

leigh123linux
12th November 2007, 10:27 PM
Ok, thanks!

It will never work unless you edit the adobe repo and remove basearch and replace it with i386 ( there is no x86_64 repo )

Pain of
12th November 2007, 11:41 PM
Ok, I have replaced the repo and installed the flash-plugin. But it is not working. Firefox cannot detect it, it is not listed on about:plugins.

dann
12th November 2007, 11:58 PM
i followed the instructions on http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f8-tips.php and flash player started right up?

Pain of
13th November 2007, 01:13 AM
This site tells me to download a file, but the file is not found in the server.

"The requested URL /macromedia-i386.repo was not found on this server."

Pain of
13th November 2007, 06:51 PM
So you guys from Fedora do not use Adobe Flash Player?

Janl
13th November 2007, 07:19 PM
You can try going to the page: Adobe Flash Player for Linux (http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux) for instructions on getting the Flash Player installed. If you're using the 32-bit version of Fedora I'd suggest just setting up the Yum repository and installing it through Yum. For 64-bit you'll need to install the plugin and then use nspluginwrapper to wrap the plugin to it'll work with the 64-bit version of Firefox.

FriedChips
13th November 2007, 07:21 PM
oh we certainly do, I just went through this same thing.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=171395

Pain of
13th November 2007, 08:38 PM
Ok I got it working...

I had to install flash-plugin, uninstal nspluginwrapper and install nspluginwrapper again.

mego22ff
13th November 2007, 09:10 PM
For now you would be better off running the 32 bit Firefox. It is the only way I have been able to get the Java plugins to work with Firefox.

Janl
13th November 2007, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't exactly say he's better off. If the IcedTea plugins will work for his Java uses, then that would be alot easier/better wouldn't it? He would only need to use the 32-bit version of Firefox if he's using the proprietary Java JRE from Sun/Java.com

glennzo
13th November 2007, 09:37 PM
This link http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#flash got flash working for me in the 64 bit version of Fedora Ate.

Pain of
13th November 2007, 09:48 PM
I have installed Java Ice Tea, but Firefox it is not listed on about:plugins. So java was not working on websites that uses java.

But it is working now that I have done a /usr/bin/mozilla-plugin-config -i -f

I think Fedora is a really nice distro, well polished, with a good performance, but I think it should be easier. With openSUSE, for example, we don't need to touch the command line. Everything is very simple and you don't have to search the forums to install simple things like flash or java. I mean, if I want a distro which I need to touch the command line, I would use Arch Linux (which is my favorite distro). But sometimes I get tired of those geeky distro (not that I am one), and want just to use my pc, that is why I am testing Fedora now.

Janl
13th November 2007, 10:01 PM
If you're looking for a distro where you'll never need to touch the command line, honestly Fedora may not be the one for you. That is especially true if you are staying on the "bleeding edge" of Fedora which in itself is somewhat of a bleeding edge distro. Things are not always going to work right out of the box.

Pain of
14th November 2007, 02:09 AM
The problem is not touching the command line. The problem is touch the command line for simple things like flash and java, especially without a good documentation. The oficial Fedora documentation and Fedora wiki did not helped me in those problems I mentioned.

But I am liking Fedora...