PDA

View Full Version : Simple FTP Client anybody?

Monyet
12th November 2007, 07:36 PM
Anybody know what FTP client that's simple similar to WinSCP for Fedora? thx

bob
12th November 2007, 07:41 PM
I just use Gftp for simple uploads. Do you need something more? As info, if you put "winscp linux equivalent" into Google, you'll come up with an interesting Ubuntu thread that discusses alternatives, including that WinSCP does work under Wine and this possible alternative: http://themediahost.de/secpanel/home/download/

Monyet
12th November 2007, 07:49 PM
i don't think i need anything more..

I downloaded the gftp-2.0.18.tar.bz2 - Stable Source (bzip2) [1342 KB]
I extracted it, but I'm just wondering on how do you install it lol..? I'm newbie at linux

lanrat
12th November 2007, 07:51 PM
youse the package manager to get a copy from a repository. it will install it for you. Id recommend using Filezilla for ftp.

bob
12th November 2007, 07:52 PM
Open a terminal and sign in as root (su -) with your password. Then just type : "yum install gftp" . You'll find it in Applications > Internet

BTW, use yum, the default package manager to install your software. I'd also install Yumex ("yum install yumex") the graphical user interface (gui) version, to see what's available. With yum and/or yumex, your dependency issues will automatically be handled, updates will be automatic and removal of unwanted software is very easy.

bob
12th November 2007, 07:58 PM
Here's a yum tutorial for your assistance: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/yum/en/

Monyet
12th November 2007, 08:01 PM
btw, how do you know yum install "gftp"

we don't have to download the binary file right?
Please explain me how does yum install works.. I mean, it seems to me that yum will get the data from the source and install it automatically for us, I'm just wondering on how does the system works. Is there like a huge server that hosts all of the installers (which I think is kind of not making any sense) but please help me understand this.. thx

Monyet
12th November 2007, 08:03 PM
seems like I do need to download the file and then use yum install [filename]

just didn't really pay attention to which filename that I'm suppose to put as the argument. But the file that I just downloaded is gone lol..

>> nevermind, it's not deleted, So, the question is, do we really need the binary files?

forkbomb
12th November 2007, 08:15 PM
Yes, yum can fetch binaries from servers where the files are hosted (you can also do local installs using yum but I believe you need .rpm files for that). Seems too good to be true, but that's it.

gFTP will probably work for you. If you don't want to use a GNOME/gtk app, you could try Filezilla.

I use FireFTP plugin for Firefox to do all my FTPing from my browser.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684

No, you shouldn't need to pre-download anything to install gftp. As you've been told, just go to your terminal and run these two commands:

su
yum install gftp

Provide your root password when asked. When you run the second command yum will automatically fetch and install the binary. No need to download anything manually. Ah, the beauty of package managers! :)

Monyet
12th November 2007, 08:18 PM
Provide your root password when asked. When you run the second command yum will automatically fetch and install the binary. No need to download anything manually. Ah, the beauty of package managers!

lol, it's all beautiful to me, it's just that how do you know that I had to put gftp instead of helloworld ^^??

forkbomb
12th November 2007, 08:24 PM
Well, that's a good point. The package name usually makes sense, like installing Firefox with "yum install firefox", gftp with "yum install gftp" or xterm with "yum install xterm." As mentioned, try yumex too (it's a GUI frontend for yum):

su
yum install yumex

Then launch it, and you can use that to search. E.g. you could use yumex to do a search for "ftp" and it would list all available packages with FTP in the name or package description. Either that or use the default package manager (pirut from the command line, or Add/Remove Programs from your GNOME menu.

Monyet
12th November 2007, 08:27 PM
wow, this is great haha.. btw, where all of these packages stored? :-/

bob
12th November 2007, 08:52 PM
They're stored in repositories specifically tailored to your version of Fedora. If you look under the Mirrors, http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/8/ you can bore down and find the packages. However, you can also check them and get a brief description under Yumex. For non-free (stuff with copyright issues) you might want to include a 3rd. party repository, such as livna. Look at FedoraFAQ above.

NoWayBill
12th November 2007, 11:59 PM
The easiest I've found is the "FireFTP" plugin for Firefox.
I also have a couple regular FTP sites set up as network drives with KNetAttach.

Monyet
13th November 2007, 12:04 AM
how about ssh ftp? does anybody know about this? can't connect with regular ftp client

bob
13th November 2007, 12:29 AM
If you open Gftp and look under "FTP > Options", you'll see the SSH tab. You can get some info by opening a terminal and typing in "man gftp" . Many of the programs in linux have 'man' (manual) pages. You'll find that reading the 'man' pages are a good resource for help.

bob
13th November 2007, 12:35 AM
Other options are contained in this thread that I mentioned earlier: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=47350