PDA

View Full Version : kernel 2.6.23.1-49.fc8??

kyle775
11th November 2007, 06:35 PM
I updated a Fedora 7 installation using yum, i have never updated a fedora system before so i looked for some instructions online, followed this
http://benperove.com/howto/upgrade-fedora-7-to-fedora-8-werewolf/
had to exclude yelp, it was looking for some gecko-libs dependency, now i have this new kernel and am trying to build some third party drivers but cant find much support for it, everything seems to be for version 2.6.23.1-42 and somehow i got -49....? not sure what this means....
also i find that yum is contstantly locked and cannot run unless i reboot or kill the pid and remove the yum.pid file...
i downloaded the fedora 8 dvd and ran an upgrade with that... it installed kernel -42 but when i try to do a yum update it wants to install -49 again....
im confused about the differences and which headers/source i should get to compile my drivers..

im lost.... fedora 7 was working perfectly... with third party drivers and everything... not sure if this system is totally screwed or what......

maybe someone else is experiencing this? or maybe its just me :P
any ideas?
thanks!

Brian1
11th November 2007, 06:43 PM
If you need the kernel source to compile against with then you need the exact version you have running. One number difference is a totally different kernel.

Brian

kyle775
11th November 2007, 06:51 PM
i understand this, i guess i just wanted to make sure that version 2.6.23.1-49 was a stable version, if i isntall kernel-devel is that the headers and the source?

bland
24th November 2007, 04:27 AM
I've experienced very similar events. I took a fresh install of Fedora 8, upgraded via yum, and went ahead with the proposed kernel upgrade (to 2.6.23.1-49). However the yum upgrade script did not actually leave a kernel in the boot directory! Instead the following error occurs:

grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template

It seem like 2.6.23.1-49 was intended to be installed but instead there's some kind screw up in the installation script that doesn't leave the kernel in /boot nor update grub's menu.lst file.

I tried uninstalling the sole entry in /boot (2.6.23.1-42) thinking I could maybe force a reinstall but that failed. So I'm stuck with system that live only until I have to reboot it :-P

This happened to me initially with a couple days of Fedora 8's initial release; it's been week or two since, and frankly, I'm rather shocked that this happened again.