PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 error yum/yumex

bowens44
11th November 2007, 01:56 PM
I have been receiving the following error when using yum extender to access the mirrors. I get this error for all mirrors. Eventually it says there are no mirrors to try.

07:46:24 : Failure getting http://mirrors.reflected.net/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/comps-f8.xml:
07:46:24 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
07:46:24 : Trying other mirror.

Things that I have tried to resolve this:
removing/re-installing yumex
rm -fr /var/cache/yum/*
yum clean all
yum clean metadata

any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks for your help

Iron_Mike
11th November 2007, 02:23 PM
Same thing is happening here using Yumex, yum works fine. I'm on here looking to see if anyone else is having the same and looking for a fix...

stefan1975
11th November 2007, 03:42 PM
me three. there is another thread about this in the "software" subforum too where we posted this issue. seems like a lot of people are experiencing this. i really like f8 so far but it seems yum(ex) is still not up to par with apt/synaptic yet.

hope they can fix this soon.

thanks,
stefan

nariknahom
11th November 2007, 03:51 PM
Try this.

1. cat /var/run/yum.pid
2. kill -9 <pid from the above file>
3. rm /var/run/yum.pid
4. insert your fedora-8 media
5. mv <path to media>/Packages # for me it looks /media/Fedora 8 x86_64 DVD/Packages
6. rpm -ivh --force fedora-release-8-3.noarch.rpm

Anniedog
11th November 2007, 03:52 PM
I am joining the club here cannot get yumex past the checksum error has anyone any ideas yet?

nariknahom
11th November 2007, 03:56 PM
I had the same problem. Found that repo files /etc/yum.repos.d/ was screwed up. The repo files can be reinstalled from fedora-release-8-3.noarch.rpm. Try it.

glennzo
11th November 2007, 03:56 PM
Add me to the list. Just installed yumex. Same error(s). Yum works fine once I manage to get whatever is locking it killed. That seems to be something that just continues until killed. Pup? Never get notice that there are updates and it doesn't quit on it's own. Also, Add/Remove Software loops forever with no error messages. Must be part of the same deal. What's up with that?

Right after posting this message I did a yum clean all in a terminal using sudo for what it's worth, and yumex worked. No error messages.

Anniedog
11th November 2007, 04:03 PM
yum in terminal works but not updates seems problem with nvidia kernel packages

jazzfan
11th November 2007, 04:07 PM
I had the same problem. Found that repo files /etc/yum.repos.d/ was screwed up. The repo files can be reinstalled from fedora-release-8-3.noarch.rpm. Try it.

won't work

Anniedog
11th November 2007, 04:37 PM
Must be FC8 problem just ran yumex on FC7 88mb updates all ok. It would be nice to know if this was affecting everyone on Fc8?. I had no problem last night when I downloaded alot of packages. May be its an overload problem .

Anniedog
11th November 2007, 05:59 PM
I did another yumex try and it found one that worked updating ok

j_baer
11th November 2007, 06:38 PM
Try this.

1. cat /var/run/yum.pid
2. kill -9 <pid from the above file>
3. rm /var/run/yum.pid
4. insert your fedora-8 media
5. mv <path to media>/Packages # for me it looks /media/Fedora 8 x86_64 DVD/Packages
6. rpm -ivh --force fedora-release-8-3.noarch.rpm

Yum on my system is totally out of control :confused:

After several fresh installs I sometimes get the update manager notification of updates, sometimes not ...

In the not case if I attempt to manually perform a update, update manager response the service is busy and sometimes hangs ...

This computer has run ver 7 without error and it likes other distro's.

I will give the above a shot and see if it helps.

Iron_Mike
11th November 2007, 06:53 PM
Add me to the list. Just installed yumex. Same error(s). Yum works fine once I manage to get whatever is locking it killed. That seems to be something that just continues until killed. Pup? Never get notice that there are updates and it doesn't quit on it's own. Also, Add/Remove Software loops forever with no error messages. Must be part of the same deal. What's up with that?

Right after posting this message I did a yum clean all in a terminal using sudo for what it's worth, and yumex worked. No error messages.

Yumex and the Software ADD/UPDATE (pirut) are just frontends for yum. If run from a terminal window using:

yum update

It works fine, just the front ends are borked for some reason. You can stop the "yum-updatesd" service and run it manually from a terminal window....

mlavalle
11th November 2007, 07:08 PM
Go into the Services applet and disable it from there.

Anniedog
11th November 2007, 07:10 PM
I can stop
[root@x1-6-00-b0-d0-16-1c-01 ~]# ps -ef|grep -i yum
root 2650 1 0 11:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python -tt /usr/sbin/yum-updatesd
root 3204 2650 26 11:53 ? 00:00:07 /usr/bin/python -tt /usr/libexec/yum-updatesd-helper --check --dbus

Question, how does one keep yum-updatesd from starting automatically at boot???

System>services uncheck to entry for all run levels and save