PDA

View Full Version : F8 and VPC2007

trp
10th November 2007, 06:34 PM
I know Virtual PC is a Microsoft product and not likely to support Fedora but I am a student and need to familiarize myself with Fedora for some work I am doing, I do not have a PC to spare and was wondering if anyone could help out regards installing F8 onto VPC because I am at a loss for what to do. The install works but then the display is corrupted and that is as far as I get..

All help will be greatly appreciated
TRP

sej7278
10th November 2007, 07:17 PM
try vmware server - its free and not microsoft rubbish

trp
10th November 2007, 07:41 PM
Ill give it a go, thanks for the advice!

jcarter
11th November 2007, 04:30 AM
Virtual PC:
Virtual PC worked great for FC5 and early FC6. Somewhere around FC6, a yum update trashed the video. FC7 wouldn't even install in text mode. Someone has eventually worked around the issues through extensive config file editing.

try vmware server - its free and not microsoft rubbish

Even VMWare poorly supports the configuration of WM under a Windows Host. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/103690;jsessionid=C42BE700BAB5A84607DB4B0692B6EA25 ?tstart=15

Starting with the latest VMWare security upgrade, there are endless SCSI errors that take 20 minutes to cycle through on each bootup.

As if that weren't enough of an insult, the latest yum update trashed the networking: the virtual network card on VMWARE doesn't receive any packets. Wireshark shows ARP replies, but the VM doesn't see them. I can even manually define the gateway ARP hardware address and see pings going out, replies returning, but not seen by the VM.

So, now I have to roll back some how, but my previous backup is quite old. :(

It's a good exploration configuration, but don't expect it to continue working from day to day.

jcarter
11th November 2007, 02:28 PM
As if that weren't enough of an insult, the latest yum update trashed the networking: the virtual network card on VMWARE doesn't receive any packets. Wireshark shows ARP replies, but the VM doesn't see them. I can even manually define the gateway ARP hardware address and see pings going out, replies returning, but not seen by the VM.

I found my problem with the networking: I had previously had to disable IPV6 for backward compatibility with a remote DNS app. I noticed that it was now partially turned on again - the effect was that all incoming network packets were discarded. Apparently the syntax to disable IPV6 has changed from previous versions. I turned IPV6 off according to the new syntax and networking has been restored.

SaGS
12th November 2007, 01:09 PM
I did successfully install F8 on VPC2007, using about the same options as for F7; for my step-by-step guide see http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.virtualpc/msg/a55d582c0a0ca3f0

The differences are:

You don't have to tweek xorg.conf in rescue mode anymore, that is you can skip steps 16 to 26 inclusive. After simply rebooting you get a working 896x600 mode. You cannot change the resolution though, for this you must edit xorg.conf manually.
I didn't manage to make the sound working. The F7 workaround (modprobe snd-sb16 in /etc/rc.d/rc.local) didn't help anymore.