PDA

View Full Version : F8: Graphical login to home dir under root not working

dedded
10th November 2007, 04:02 PM
I installed F8 (i386) and created an account 'firstacct' during the installation process. The home directory for firstacct is /home/firstacct, as you would expect and logins to firstacct work just fine.

Then I created 'secondacct' with its home directory under root: /secondacct. Logins to secondacct from the console work just fine, but I cannot login to secondacct graphically. I get this error message in a little box:

Your home directory is listed as: '/secondacct' but it does not appear to exist. Do you want to log in with the / (root) directory? It is unlikely anything will work unless you use a failsafe session.

[I would to point out at this time that the box has a "yes" button and a "no" button with no opportunity to change to a failsafe session.]

[I would also like to point out that if I select "no", and then change the session, there is still no failsafe option.]

Selecting "yes" ultimately fails. But the attempt to graphically login sure creates a lot of files in a directory that it supposedly couldn't find.

List of files in /secondacct before the graphical login attempt:

.bash_logout
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.emacs
.gnome2
.kde
.zshrc

List of files in /secondacct after the unsuccessful graphical login attempt:

.bash_logout
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.config
Desktop
Documents
Download
.emacs
.gconf
.gconfd
.gnome2
.gnome2_private
.kde
Music
Pictures
Public
Templates
Videos
.zshrc

Any ideas on how to get graphical logins working for secondacct? Or should I file a bug?

Thanks,
Dan

PS: Why do I want secondacct under root anyways, you ask? It's so I can have a nonprivileged account that is not under /home. The /home area will ultimately be pointed at a different partition where my real home accounts exist, but I won't do that until I'm satisfied that F8 is okay. And then when I ultimately switch to F9 I'll want to remove F8's access to the real home accounts but still be able to log in to a nonprivileged account. My setup looks something like this:

sda1 Fedora_7 [default boot, real home mounted here] (to become F9 in May)
sda2 Fedora_8 [just installed, real home not _yet_ mounted]
sda3 /home [real user area]

dedded
13th November 2007, 03:45 AM
It turns out the problem is with SELinux labeling. It's another manifestation of the problem described here: Fedora 8 Home Directory Issues (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171418).

Relabeling the user area as described in that thread solved the problem.

I certainly don't like the "directory ... does not appear to exist" error message. It's misleading.

/Dan