PDA

View Full Version : /root

SiClops
5th May 2004, 10:21 AM
I've got 2 HDD. my secondary is a little 8gig that's just for backup stuff and my pri one is an 80 gig p/tioned to 60/20 with partition magic. Now, I didn't creat it as root as far as i know and arn't realy sure how to but i can't install fedora untill i can get somewhere to put it that's root, how do i do this oh yeh i want fedora on my 20 p/tion so it can run along side winXP on the 60 p/tion

rbirdman
5th May 2004, 10:53 AM
Best bet is to set your 20gig partition to free space with partition magic and use automatic partitioning.

Select "install to free space " and all should be good.

Here is a link to the relevant page in the RedHat Installation Guide (https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-diskpartauto.html)

SiClops
5th May 2004, 11:47 AM
should i format my partition to fat32 or just leave it to ntfs

rbirdman
5th May 2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by SiClops
should i format my partition to fat32 or just leave it to ntfs

free space is unformatted.
I haven't used partitionmagic for a long while but it use to have the ability to convert to free space.

If its your first install perhaps you could google for a linux users group in your area.
If you go along to a meeting they would be able to help you do an installation.

Certainly read the guide well and backup before doing the install.

ghaefb
5th May 2004, 06:52 PM
Yes you shuld make free space with Partition Magic (20Gb), just use option delete.
In instalation process you can choose automatic partitioning or manual(disk druid). I recommend you automatic, but for info:
You need to make at least two partitions out of that free space, one is root(set mount point to / ) and swap partition(usually 2x your ram)
I recommend creating separatepartition /home.

mohelgamal
26th July 2004, 12:23 PM
I know that is a very late post but for the use of other users you can convert the partition into free space by windows xp adminstartive tools / diskmanagment simply right click on the partation and click delete then install fedora with automatic partation / use free space option