PDA

View Full Version : Download version of 8

Paul75
9th November 2007, 12:01 PM
Hello,

I am sorry but I not undersand what in the website It found 3 version :

- Install DVD i386 [the ling is a i386]
- GNOME Live CD i386 BUT the ling I download i686....
- idem for the KDE Live CD

The version of GNOME Live CD or KDE Live CD is in i686 ? And if I donwload it I can Install it ?

Thanks

RahulSundaram
9th November 2007, 12:12 PM
Hi,

GNOME and KDE are desktop environments. The live CD/DVD's are all installable to hard disk or usb flash. If you are a desktop user doing a new installation of Fedora, download one of the Live CD's for your architecture (x86 in many instances) and install it.

Paul75
9th November 2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks. The distribution is base to i686 ? no ? If Yest why the ling is mentionned i386 ans When I donwlod it I see the name of the link contain i686..

and the desktop more fiable, intuitive ? is KDE Or Gnome ?

:)

RahulSundaram
9th November 2007, 12:28 PM
Hi,

The distribution is for x86 architecture. Call it i386 or i686 or anything similar. Doesn't make much of a difference. Whether you prefer GNOME or KDE boils down to personal preferences. If you don't know any better pick the first one in the list;-)

Paul75
9th November 2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks.

Somebody people thinks that KDE is more heavy than GNOME . It is really ?

RahulSundaram
9th November 2007, 12:39 PM
Hi,

I haven't seen any recent performance numbers but they are both comparable. Not enough of a difference to really claim a win one way or the other IMO.

petervoldon
9th November 2007, 12:46 PM
I agree to Rahul.. Its completely a personal option to go for KDE or Gnome.. When I started using Linux before, I installed both of them.. KDE and Gnome.. I used both to find which one is more comfortable to me.. I use Gnome now.. (it doesnt mean that I doesnt like KDE but as said earlier, its completely my choice).. If you are new to Gnome and KDE, try using both.. it doesnt take toooo much had disk space to install both in your computer.. try using both and see what suits you best!

-:Pete:-

Paul75
9th November 2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all your response :)

$Linux
9th November 2007, 01:54 PM
i686 if you are running a intel an kde is a desktop environment but i guess install i686

A.Serbinski
9th November 2007, 04:17 PM
You are being misled. A "livecd" is one where it can run WITHOUT being installed - straight off the CD, hence "live". Though it can also be installed, it is missing a LOT of components. If your objective is to install to hard disk, and you have a DVD drive, choose the INSTALL DVD.

Regarding architecture; i386 is used as a general term for all 32bit architectures i386 and HIGHER. i386 should support i386, i486, i586, and i686, HOWEVER, this distribution only really supports i586 and i686 (ie, it will NOT work on an i386 or i486). The install DVD includes support for both i586 and i686, but the livecds ONLY support i686. They really should call the install DVD "i586".

Also, the install DVD includes BOTH KDE and GNOME. Install them both and see which you prefer.

RahulSundaram
9th November 2007, 04:32 PM
You are being misled. A "livecd" is one where it can run WITHOUT being installed - straight off the CD, hence "live". Though it can also be installed, it is missing a LOT of components. If your objective is to install to hard disk, and you have a DVD drive, choose the INSTALL DVD.

The other alternative of course is to use the live cd and install it to the hard disk and install any other component you want later on. For a typical desktop user or a user who doesn't have a DVD drive (there are many), a live cd is a pretty good option. They can also check how well Fedora works on the system before installing it.

Paul75
10th November 2007, 08:08 PM
I test the liveCD. I am using now ubuntu 7.10. And it detect my Print (CANON PIXMA MP800) the driver is for the PIXMA MP830 but it is the same.

And in FEDORA I don't find it.

Why I can install it ?

Thanks

RahulSundaram
10th November 2007, 10:26 PM
I test the liveCD. I am using now ubuntu 7.10. And it detect my Print (CANON PIXMA MP800) the driver is for the PIXMA MP830 but it is the same.

And in FEDORA I don't find it.

Why I can install it ?

Thanks

Don't reuse the same thread for different questions. Open a separate thread.

Paul75
10th November 2007, 10:31 PM
I am verry sorry...