PDA

View Full Version : Need help recovering kernel 2.6.23.1-21, initrd's not created

JeffZZZ
9th November 2007, 04:15 AM
Hello

Been running Fedora 7 and centos 5 dual boot. Have two different drives setup for /boot directories. Trying to get it so that F7 and centos5 would upgrade their versions of grub menu.lst with each upgrade.

Active /boot was for Centos5 (hd0,2)/boot/grubmenu.lst. With pointer to

title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
title Fedora (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img

I upgraded to kernel-26.23.1-10 and then again to kernel-26.23.1-21 , and all other software upgraded. While I forgot to boot those kernels.

Fedora 7 (hd0,0)/boot has vmlinuz-26.23.1-10 and -26.23.1-21, plus system config files, but it doesn't have the initrd's for those two.

I tried to mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-21.fc7.img 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 and it bombed out when booting.

I haven't been able to go backwards,uninstall those two kernels, to reload those two kernels to get it to make the initrd's.

I changed the Centos5 boot menu.lst to have the following call to fedora menu.

title Fedora Menu
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

2 questions:

1. Can anybody help me get kernel 2.6.23.1-21 working or tell me how to create the initrd for it.

2. Will the following menu allow intird's to be created in futrue kernel upgrades?

title Fedora Menu
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

Thank you
JeffZZZ

rweed
9th November 2007, 05:09 AM
Boot with the rescue CD. Do the chroot /mnt/sysimage ... at this point, I would probably try uninstalling the latest kernel and reinstalling it...worked for me recently when I had a similar problem.

JeffZZZ
18th November 2007, 08:34 PM
Hello rweed,

I fixed it by booting from install DVD and selecting the upgrade option. It reloaded the old kernel and then I did updates from there.

So as to question 1 -- fixed

Question 2 The best, or easiest way to maintain multiple linux OS is to make multiple 100 megabyte /boot directories with disc partitioning within the 1st Gbyte range of the hard disc. Use one bootloader loaded from MBR and have that one call the other config files like in the above post. If the /boot partition is not active it seems that initrd will not be created. At least it wasn't with fedora on my system.

Thanks JeffZZZ

sideways
18th November 2007, 09:24 PM
chainload the second os from the other one's grub menu then the grub.conf from the second one will be picked up. search for username 'bob' and 'chainloader' for lots of examples

rweed
19th November 2007, 07:45 AM
Hello rweed,

I fixed it by booting from install DVD and selecting the upgrade option. It reloaded the old kernel and then I did updates from there.

So as to question 1 -- fixed

Question 2 The best, or easiest way to maintain multiple linux OS is to make multiple 100 megabyte /boot directories with disc partitioning within the 1st Gbyte range of the hard disc. Use one bootloader loaded from MBR and have that one call the other config files like in the above post. If the /boot partition is not active it seems that initrd will not be created. At least it wasn't with fedora on my system.

Thanks JeffZZZ
Glad you solved it!