PDA

View Full Version : Grub trouble with Werewolf

Linkmax
9th November 2007, 02:15 AM
Well, the install went smoothly for the 64 bit version of F8, but when the grub screen that shows up doesn't seem to be the right one.

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (638k lower /1047488k upper memory)

[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename.]

grub>

That's what shows up instead of the os selector.

What should I do? I already installed Fedora 8 again after I got this the first time.

brad_c6
9th November 2007, 02:22 AM
For grub are there any other operating systems? Windows XP? Is the computer brand new and you only have Fedora on it?

Linkmax
9th November 2007, 02:25 AM
Just Fedora 8 and Windows XP.

brad_c6
9th November 2007, 02:29 AM
I would run Windows Recovery console and enter fixmbr then reboot. Check to be sure that you are installing the bootloader on the primary partition and that your bios is setup correctly

Linkmax
9th November 2007, 02:32 AM
It was installed on my primary partition. :(

brad_c6
9th November 2007, 02:40 AM
possible hard drive config problem, it normally related to the BIOS or hardware. I had the same problem and all I had to do was switch the primary and secondary hard drives and everything worked. I think grub is not finding your linux partition.

type this:
find /boot/grub/

Whats the output?

stevea
9th November 2007, 02:41 AM
Well. Grub regularly gets confused at install and I think that is what happened here.

From the "grub> " prompt you should try typing "find (hd<tab><tab>". The <tab> allows grub to auto complete.
You want to find the file /boot/grub/grub.conf which might be (hdN,M)/boot/grub/grub.conf or (hdN,M)/grub/grub.conf" .

Then reboot the install disk in rescue mode and verify that /boot/grub/device.map and /boot/grub/grub.conf have the corrcet hdN numbers than chroot there anr grub-install (hdN)

ihavenoname
9th November 2007, 02:41 AM
Just Fedora 8 and Windows XP.

give us the exact layout to your hard drives and partitions and we will tell you the exact commands to type to get into fedora and then what to do to make sure this doesn't happen the next time you reinstall.

Linkmax
9th November 2007, 02:46 AM
possible hard drive config problem, it normally related to the BIOS or hardware. I had the same problem and all I had to do was switch the primary and secondary hard drives and everything worked. I think grub is not finding your linux partition.

type this:
find /boot/grub/

Whats the output?
Error 15: File not found

stevea
9th November 2007, 02:47 AM
BTW do NOT NOT NOT run the windoze recovery unless you want to wipe grub and go back to Windoze only.

The problem has nothing to to with other installs. It has to do with the well known inability for grub and other multiboots to correctly determine the boot disk.

RHamel
9th November 2007, 03:28 AM
I think you might enter the following command at grub>

grub> device (hd0,0) /dev/sda

Linkmax
9th November 2007, 03:34 AM
Nevermind, I got it running. Thanks anyway.

ihavenoname
9th November 2007, 04:59 AM
Nevermind, I got it running. Thanks anyway.

hmm, could you tell us how so that if someone else has that problem they too can fix it just by looking at this thread? :cool: