PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade a Server to Fedora 8 from 7

lanrat
9th November 2007, 01:45 AM
Hi, I am running a web server running Fedora 7. It hosts several websites, so downtime isent good, and a clean install isent possible. So how do I upgrade my system to Fedora 8? I can do a reboot or to if I absolutely need to, but i would prefer not. so how can I upgrade to 8?

Thanks.

PilotJLR
9th November 2007, 02:05 AM
At least 1 reboot is required.

A better question is WHY you need to upgrade the server... and also why fedora, when CentOS has much better longevity? Just something to think about.

PilotJLR
9th November 2007, 02:10 AM
At least 1 reboot is required.

A better question is WHY you need to upgrade the server... and also why fedora, when CentOS has much better longevity? Just something to think about.

brad_c6
9th November 2007, 02:11 AM
In my advice I would say wait a short while, maybe a week or so. Just to be safe because people will report compatiblity problems with yum upgrades from Fedora 7 to Fedora 8. The safest way to upgrade and not wait is to download the DVD iso and select the upgrade option. Remember to backup your data before hand just in case, note that since you still get the same updates with Fedora 7 as do 8, you could wait until Fedora 9.

lanrat
9th November 2007, 02:15 AM
OK, sounds good.

lanrat
9th November 2007, 02:21 AM
O, I just Frogot, my server dosent have a DVD drive, Just CD. How should i do this?

brad_c6
9th November 2007, 02:32 AM
I would use a basic external DVD drive to boot off one if possible, or insert a internal dvd drive for only the install. If that is not possible I would simply wait it out for a while for a tutorial of some sort that lists all the potential pitfalls of upgrading via yum.

lanrat
9th November 2007, 02:45 AM
Well, its a rack mount server and I dont have any external DVD drives or a dvd drive that would fit into it...

stevea
9th November 2007, 02:57 AM
I agree w/ PilotJLR that there *may* be no need to change from F7, and that CentOS is clearly more stable/log-lived BUT ....

Why can't you just install F8 on a new partition, dual boot, then when you have time to migrate and test the config (off-hours), switch to F8 when it's tested. IF you have 15-20GB for the F8 root then a clean install is possible.

lanrat
9th November 2007, 06:15 AM
I never have "off-hours" and taking the server down to install on another partition isent an option. I need to do a update, or i might wait till F9. eather way, ill still wait a few weeks to see if anyone comes up with a nice guide on how to do this. If you find one please post it here.

brr872002
9th November 2007, 07:07 AM
This post may help you
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171140

lanrat
9th November 2007, 03:19 PM
This post may help you
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171140

How Reliable is that method? and does it Just install all the Fedora 8 packages or does it really make the system Fedora 8?

lanrat
9th November 2007, 03:22 PM
Also, what about all my gonfigurations? Will they all remain the same? I really don't want to re-configure all the server programs, and that would be too much downtime...