PDA

View Full Version : Unable to change Resolution

tito_pt
8th November 2007, 10:56 PM
I'm a Linux "starter" user, after instaling FC7 I changed the resolution of the screen to a size unsuported by the monitor.. so now how do I start FC7 with a lower resolution so I can change it to a correct size?

violetConqueror
17th November 2007, 04:34 AM
you can do it through the command line. There are two ways to do this, one way you could boot up and although you can't see anything wait untill it should be done loading and press ctr-alt-F1 this will give you a command line interface taht will ask you to log in. another way is to use the fedora rescue-cd. If you use the rescue-cd it will mount your fedora 7 partition in mnt/ something I can't remember exactly where but it will tell you when it boots. Be sure to go to the file relative to that, not the live cd's filesystem.

Either way, edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with a text editer ( try "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" )
find the section called screen (probably at the bottom). It should look something like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

change it to look like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

What that does is change the default resolution for your X server. common modes are 1024x786 and 800x600. After you change that save and reboot, hopefully that will fix your problem.