PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot with XP - Tutorial?

XMAG
8th November 2007, 07:33 PM
I was thinking of when installing Fedora 8 partitioning my HD and installing windows on a partition too, as I need it for university stuff and wine sometimes is just not enough.

The thing is this is a big mystery to me, I have no idea how to do it and I would as usual just try and learn though but this time I'm trying a different approach, ask before things get out of control :D

I wanted to know the steps towards doing this (it doesn't need to be that idiotic "click on xxxx twice" kind of thing though), if anyone knows a tutorial or could help me out with this, I would really appreciate.

Things I dont know is when to partition the HD? do I install windows or fedora first? configurations? requirements? etc.

Thanks!

johnnash
8th November 2007, 08:10 PM
I wrote this and tell me if it's helpful enough.

http://paulsdigitalworld.wordpress.com/2007/11/08/get-your-feet-wet-with-linuxfedora-easily-installation-tutorial/

XMAG
8th November 2007, 08:35 PM
I didnt understand what you meant in the tutorial, Fedora 7 is my sole OS now, but now with fedora 8 coming I thought while installing it I could reinstall windows xp too. As I understand you'd be making fedora an alternative from windows, is that right?

johnnash
8th November 2007, 09:33 PM
OK, yes you can. Then you need to use something like Gpart to build a partition for windows xp and then install windows xp on that partition and then follow the tutorial to install fedora 8 and dual boot. What I wrote is what you do when you have windows xp and install fedora from that.

johnnash
9th November 2007, 10:01 AM
And XMAG, I forgot to mention two things if you've gone through what I wrote.
You need to keep your linux image file on a FAT32 drive not a NTFS one. Even with fedora 8. I just found out.

And you don't need to text install, you can just go to graphical install and still choose to install from hard drive.

XMAG
10th November 2007, 05:08 AM
I'm not sure if i get the swap partition thing... I'm acually pretty lost

Do I have to install Windows first?
Do I have to partition the drive after installing windows? can't that be done before formating the partitions while installing Windows/Fedora (whichever I have to install first)
Do I need to specifically create a swap partition? Why have I never seen anything like that before when I installed windows or fedora?

Thanks!

JordanN
10th November 2007, 07:16 AM
Install Windows first.

Once Windows is installed, run GEdit from a LiveCD. Resize the Windows partition enough to give Linux sufficient room.

Run the Fedora installer, and tell it to use the unused space on the hard drive.

brr872002
10th November 2007, 07:30 AM
I'm not sure if i get the swap partition thing... I'm acually pretty lost

Do I have to partition the drive after installing windows? can't that be done before formating the partitions while installing Windows/Fedora (whichever I have to install first)
Do I need to specifically create a swap partition? Why have I never seen anything like that before when I installed windows or fedora?

Thanks!

Insted of confused UR self and confusing others give more details of your HDDs.
post out put
#fdisk -l /dev/sda

for more http://www.jplawrence.us/mywiki/DualBootLinux

XMAG
10th November 2007, 05:40 PM
[root@localhost ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 9729 78043770 8e Linux LVM

I know.. 80 GB is pretty small for a dual boot, but I'm willing to try it anyway, I was thinking of 45 for Linux and the rest to windows, which would give me about 25 as 80gb is never 80gb... I won't be really using windows daily so i think that won't be a problem.

stoat
10th November 2007, 11:17 PM
I was thinking of when installing Fedora 8 partitioning my HD and installing windows on a partition too...I wanted to know the steps towards doing this...
Things I dont know is when to partition the HD? do I install windows or fedora first?
80 GB is pretty small for a dual boot, but I'm willing to try it anyway, I was thinking of 45 for Linux and the rest to windows, which would give me about 25 as 80gb is never 80gb...Hello XMAG,

I started not to reply here. You have enough information flying at you. I decided to write because what you desire to do is so simple and commonplace that it could have been done in an hour or so on 11/8 when you first posted. But here you are dead in the water days later. My feelings will not be hurt if you just choose to ignore me, but here are some comments that I hope will jumpstart this stalled project:

You have an 80 GB drive with Fedora 7 completely filling the drive with an ext3 boot partition and a large LVM physical volume.

You want to replace Fedora 7 with Fedora 8 and also add Windows XP to the hard drive.

80 GB is plenty big enough to hold Fedora 8 and Windows XP.

The ratio of 45:35 for Fedora to XP is completely acceptable; more than adequate for both systems.

It is not required that you install Windows first, but it is by far simpler that way.

The tutorial you read describes a Hard Drive installation from the ISO file. Why do that? Is there something wrong with your DVD drive? Do you have one? I didn't read any DVD drive issues in your posts. If you have a DVD burner, download the DVD ISO and create a Fedora 8 installation DVD and install from that in your DVD drive. The Hard Drive alternative installation method is an unnecessary complication of your case in the absence of an indication for it (no DVD drive, DVD drive not recognized by anaconda, etc.)

You have not said anything to indicate that you intend to retain the existing system by shrinking it. I hope not anyway. I would backup important data, clear the hard drive, create an NTFS or FAT32 partition of your chosen size at the "front" of the drive for XP with a GParted LiveCD (http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/) (not GEdit, BTW), and install XP in it.

In the remaining free (unpartitioned) space, I would install Fedora 8. Since you currently are using the default LVM setup with Fedora 7, I assume that is what you will choose with Fedora 8. If so, you do not have to agonize over swap partitions or any other partition anymore. Just install Fedora 8 with the default partition layout in the free unpartitioned space. Choose the partition option Use free space on selected drives and create default layout. That will install the same type of partition layout you have now: an ext3 boot partition and an LVM physical volume containing the entire Fedora system. No need in that case to concern yourself about individual system partitions or swap. That's all taken care of in the LVM.

When anaconda confronts you with boot loader choices during installation, simply accept the default of installing GRUB in the master boot record. It's probably the most popular method to dual boot Fedora and XP. GRUB is a reliable and versatile boot loader.

And finally, in a simple, standard layout such as this, the likelihood of Fedora including XP in its GRUB menu is very high. If not, it will be a simple GRUB tweak to get it there.I only wanted to help this floundered project which seems to have as its goal such a simple and standard XP/Fedora setup. If I have only confused, I apologize and retreat. You may disregard all I have said without offending me. Either way, good luck.

XMAG
11th November 2007, 03:30 AM
hahahah thanks man, actually I didn't try a thing yet because my last Fedora 8 iso was corrupted, so I had to download it all again...

I never partitioned hard drive before so I have no idea what I am doing... Sorry but I'm completelly ignorant when it comes to this, as you have seen, so let's see if I understood:

I will run GParted LiveCD and reformat the dev/sda1 only, into 1 NTFS and 1 ext3, install windows on the NTFS and then Fedora on the ext3. Do I keep the dev/sda2 partition? I don't have to clear it or anything? When I install Windows it wont try to repartition the disk again to have its own boot partition?

Thanks!

stoat
11th November 2007, 04:37 AM
I will run GParted LiveCD and reformat the dev/sda1 only, into 1 NTFS and 1 ext3, install windows on the NTFS and then Fedora on the ext3. Do I keep the dev/sda2 partition? I don't have to clear it or anything?Hello again XMAG,

No, I recommend that you backup all your important work to another drive or a disk. Then completely wipe the drive of both existing Fedora partitions by any means such as fdisk in linux rescue or DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) or KillDisk (http://www.killdisk.com/) leaving nothing but unpartitioned space. GParted cannot do anything to that LVM partition.

Then using a GParted LiveCD (http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/), create only a single partition of the desired size for XP. Leave the remaining capacity of the drive as unpartitioned space for the Fedora installer (anaconda) to find and use later. The XP Setup "disk druid" has limited functionality compared to anaconda's. I can't really remember how it behaves when confronted with an unpartitioned drive. That is why I suggested that you create a partition of the desired size for XP Setup to find and use for XP.
When I install Windows it wont try to repartition the disk again to have its own boot partition?XP Setup will ask you about reformatting the partition, quick formatting, or leaving it as is. Just let it reformat the partition and continue with the installation of XP. When that is done, you will have XP installed in the partition that you created and the remainder of the drive will be unpartitioned space. Then install Fedora choosing the partition option to use only the unpartitioned space for creating a default layout for Fedora. Agree to the default Fedora boot loader option of installing GRUB in the master boot record.

Barring any unforeseen incompatibilities with Fedora 8 and your hardware, I predict all of this will be easy to do, and end up as you wanted it with XP and Fedora 8 dual booted with GRUB.

XMAG
12th November 2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks stoat, that really cleared it out, all but one thing

You will, if not already, think I'm a total retard but how can I use fdisk to wipe the HD? I don't want to use DBAN or KillDisk since that will take a while and its completely unnecessary for me...

Thanks again!

stoat
12th November 2007, 04:26 AM
The XP Setup "disk druid" has limited functionality compared to anaconda's. I can't really remember how it behaves when confronted with an unpartitioned drive.First, let me report that I did some experiments with my XP CD and a spare computer with a Fedora system. I have never really used the Windows XP CD to manage partitions before, and needed to find out what it can do. I booted with the XP CD, and XP Setup started normally. At the first blue screen, I pressed "Enter" as usual to install XP. Next is the blue Setup screen that showed my partitions. One at a time, I selected my Fedora partitions (listed as "Unknown") and pressed "D" to delete them, followed by "L" on the next screen to confirm. In their place unpartitioned space was created.

Next, I continued using this Windows "disk druid" to create a new partition in the now unpartitioned space. I selected the unpartitioned space and pressed "C". On the next blue screen, I could choose its size. I didn't have total control over where the partition was positioned like I would have with GParted, but the XP Setup "disk druid" does work to remove Fedora partitions and create a new partition of a chosen size for XP. Finally, I could have installed XP in the new partition, but I was done with the experiment and aborted to write this.

You should give that a try. Sometimes the XP CD will not boot with Linux systems present on the drive. But it doesn't always happen. It didn't happen to me tonight. WARNING: Remember, deleting these partitions will destroy your Fedora system. Don't forget to backup important files and data to another medium.
how can I use fdisk to wipe the HD?If your XP CD will not boot to let you delete the Fedora partitions and create a new one for XP, here is how to delete partitions with fdisk in linux rescue:

Boot with your Fedora installation disk.
Choose "Rescue installed system".
Answer prompts and follow directions.
At the sh prompt, enter: chroot /mnt/sysimage <= This traditional step is technically not necessary just to delete partitions.
At the sh prompt, enter: fdisk /dev/sda
Press "m" if you want to see a list of fdisk actions.
Press "p" if you want to see the partition list.
Press "d" if you want to delete a partition, then...
Enter the number of the partition to delete (1, 2, etc.).
Press "p" again if you want to refresh the partition list to review it with your changes.
Press "q" to quit fdisk without writing changes to the partition table if you don't like what you did; start over.
Press "w" to write the changes to the partition table and exit fdisk.
Enter "exit" twice to leave linux rescue and reboot the now systemless machine.

If your XP CD wouldn't boot before, it will now. You can use it to create a new partition for XP and install it. Or, you can use a GParted LiveCD to create the partition, then start the XP CD.

brr872002
12th November 2007, 12:52 PM
hi,
stoat , you replies are excellent and you turn every thread in to fedora guide.
How you migrated to Werewolf , I used yum upgrade by creating DVD.iso contents in local repos & enabling livna repos. I have to get 10 odd packages manually from fedora/Everything.

My grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,2)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda3
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=5
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-49.fc8)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-49.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-49.fc8.img
title Fedora (2.6.21-2950.fc8xen)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/xen.gz-2.6.21-2950.fc8
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-2950.fc8xen ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
module /boot/initrd-2.6.21-2950.fc8xen.img
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-10.fc7)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-10.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-10.fc7.img
title Fedora (2.6.20-2936.fc7xen)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/xen.gz-2.6.20-2936.fc7
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-2936.fc7xen ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
module /boot/initrd-2.6.20-2936.fc7xen.img
title WINXP_SP2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

stoat
12th November 2007, 05:50 PM
How you migrated to WerewolfI haven't even downloaded it yet. The early days after a new Fedora release remind me of that scene in Titanic right after the ship went under. I'm waiting a while for it to quiet down.

fionnkool
12th November 2007, 08:28 PM
I love it when someone takes a thread and shakes it and sorts everything out.
Stoat your the man.

XMAG
20th November 2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, I have everything sorted out now. I actually followed stoat's first idea and had no problems.

The only thing that happened differently was that Anaconda did not offer me any boot options, it just installed Fedora and when I wanted to run XP I had press a key to stop grub loading Fedora (in the default 5 second grub screen) and select "Other" in the menu that appeared. I had to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst manually so that I would be prompted with a menu to select the desired OS, here's what I did, if someone happen to follow this thread:

I removed the line "hiddenmenu" from the file (/boot/grub/menu.lst), changed the title where it was written "Other" to "Windows XP SP2" and changed timeout from 5 to 20, so I have now 20 seconds to make my decision before grub boots Fedora, if nothing is pressed. Here is how it looks now:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=20
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora 8 (2.6.23.1-49.fc8)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-49.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-49.fc8.img
title Windows XP SP2