PDA

View Full Version : Can Not Run LiveCD -- Coasters Galore!

Baphomet
8th November 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm new to Linux but have been dual-booting/running Ubuntu and Windows XP on my PC for a couple months now with great success. I'd like to give Fedora a little test drive though, just to see what a non-debian Linux environment is like. Problem is, I can't seem to burn a usable LiveCD to save my life.

What I've tried so far:

Downloading the .iso from different mirrors, downloading the .iso from different mirror sites on different PC's (one Linux, the other XP), burning to CD, burning to DVD, burning them slow (2x, 4x), burning them fast (up to 48x), burning them using three different applications (Kb3, ActiveISO and DeepBurner) and on different types of media (CD-R, DVD +R and DVD -R) as well as three different brands of media.

What I do get is a kernel-loading message, something about powernow-k8: MP systems not supported by PSB BIOS, a screenfull of IO errors and finally a message that informs me I'm being dumped to a CLI ("Good Luck!").

Truly now, this is NO fun and I've got a stack of coasters that is about three inches thick. What am I doing wrong? If it matters here are the basic system specs in case it's a hardware conflict (?):

Asus AN8-SLI, AMD64 4200+ X2, an nVidia 8800GTS, 2GB of Corsair, dual hard drives (SATA master-drive, PATA slave) and a Plextor DVD burner.

I'd really like to give Fedora a little whirl, but this is getting frustrating. All help appreciated!!

FriedChips
8th November 2007, 05:25 PM
when you get dumped to a cli what happens if you type

startx

Baphomet
8th November 2007, 05:29 PM
Could it be as simple as starting/restarting X?

Unfortunately I'm in my office at the moment which means XP, but i'll certainly try that when I get home.

Thanks for the tip!

JN4OldSchool
8th November 2007, 05:36 PM
I'm new to Linux but have been dual-booting/running Ubuntu and Windows XP on my PC for a couple months now with great success. I'd like to give Fedora a little test drive though, just to see what a non-debian Linux environment is like. Problem is, I can't seem to burn a usable LiveCD to save my life.

What I've tried so far:

Downloading the .iso from different mirrors, downloading the .iso from different mirror sites on different PC's (one Linux, the other XP), burning to CD, burning to DVD, burning them slow (2x, 4x), burning them fast (up to 48x), burning them using three different applications (Kb3, ActiveISO and DeepBurner) and on different types of media (CD-R, DVD +R and DVD -R) as well as three different brands of media.

What I do get is a kernel-loading message, something about powernow-k8: MP systems not supported by PSB BIOS, a screenfull of IO errors and finally a message that informs me I'm being dumped to a CLI ("Good Luck!").

Truly now, this is NO fun and I've got a stack of coasters that is about three inches thick. What am I doing wrong? If it matters here are the basic system specs in case it's a hardware conflict (?):

Asus AN8-SLI, AMD64 4200+ X2, an nVidia 8800GTS, 2GB of Corsair, dual hard drives (SATA master-drive, PATA slave) and a Plextor DVD burner.

I'd really like to give Fedora a little whirl, but this is getting frustrating. All help appreciated!!

I will bet you a 100 pack of CD-RW's that this is your problem. And unfortunatly, if you cant use the nv driver, like a lot of us nVidia guys cant, I seriously doubt you will be able to use the live CD. I have tried to get it to boot into vesa till my fingers bled, it will not accept the change. It insists on nv. Once it is installed and you can DL the nvidia driver from livna things work fine. Dont know what to tell you, try running it on another computer?

Baphomet
8th November 2007, 05:49 PM
Ahhh geez... not the nVidia driver thing again! I was afraid somebody was going to say that. I had the same issue getting a splash-screen and so forth when installing Ubuntu.

Is there some kind of text-based installer for Fedora that would get me around that? Reconfigure the boot-loader? Anything??

Okay... what about this: I have a secondary hard-drive. I suppose I could disconnect the current Master-drive, reformat and install Fedora on the PATA drive and then download the restricted nVidia driver...

Would that work? It's just a data-drive at this point, so there would be very little to backup.

Yes? No? Maybe??

FriedChips
8th November 2007, 05:54 PM
LoL, I wasn't suggesting startx would fix your problem, I was just wanting to see what errors it may spit out. Yes if that is the problem ( the nvidia driver ) you should download the install DVD and use the text based installer, enable livna and then yum install kmod-nvidia.

JN4OldSchool
8th November 2007, 06:00 PM
you can install off the live CD in text mode. Just use the command

/usr/bin/liveinst

and it should start a basic graphic installer. This is how I did it. Then you will need to edit xorg.conf before first boot. Change nv to vesa and you will be fine. Then you can just DL the Livna nvidia driver at your leisure.

Baphomet
8th November 2007, 06:06 PM
LoL, I wasn't suggesting startx would fix your problem, I was just wanting to see what errors it may spit out.Oh... Well you had my hopes up there for a minute! :p

Yes if that is the problem (the nvidia driver) you should download the install DVD and use the text based installer, enable livna and then yum install kmod-nvidia.Okey-doke... I'll give that a go. You mention, specifically, the DVD - I'm not sure I've seen a Fedora .iso download that is over 800MB. If there's a download specifically for burning to DVD I'd prefer that. Could you maybe point me in the right direction?

And thanks for all the help... Damn those nVidia drivers!

Baphomet
8th November 2007, 06:09 PM
you can install off the live CD in text mode. Just use the command

/usr/bin/liveinst

and it should start a basic graphic installer. This is how I did it. Then you will need to edit xorg.conf before first boot. Change nv to vesa and you will be fine. Then you can just DL the Livna nvidia driver at your leisure.
Okay, I can edit the xorg.conf just fine, but the command to get the text-based installer up and running... Let me make sure I understand you correctly: You're saying I'll need to boot from the LiveCD, let it crash to the CLI and then use that command?

FriedChips
8th November 2007, 06:12 PM
You can get the torrents here
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
look for the ones that are about 3GB or more those are the DVD's. as JN4 pointed out you could install from the liveCD in text mode. I just prefer to install from DVD's for whatever reason, plus the new Fedora 8 is out so that "may" give you better luck with this issue anyway. Good luck :)

bbfuller
8th November 2007, 06:20 PM
I think Baphomet is lucky to get that far. I've tried both the release candidate KDE live CD and the final of the same on an hp nx6125 laptop that contains an ATI RS480/SB400 chipset. Neither get beyond the stage of:

..MP-BIOS bug : 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
powernow-k8: ph2 null fid transition 0xa

Sad because both fc6 and f7 have installed on this laptop without a problem. They also give exactly the same message but then continue with the Red Hat nash version message. Does anyone have any ideas?

It's going to make things difficult with this laptop because the DVD of rc3 won't install either, that gets as far as:

running /sbin/loader

and then hangs there forever.

The dvd and the cd's all work on other machines by the way.

Baphomet
8th November 2007, 06:29 PM
Ahhh, thank you!!

I have had better luck with Linux installs both with Torrent downloads and DVD installs as well, so that works!

JN4OldSchool
8th November 2007, 06:42 PM
you might have to input "linux vesa" at the boot prompt on the dvd. I agree that the F8 dvd is probably the best bet for you. You will see anaconda in all it's glory and not a slackware looking pre-school style old school installer.