PDA

View Full Version : Partition Help

theWayner
7th November 2007, 10:42 PM
I am new to Fedora awaiting F8. I will be duel booting from a 120 GB HD (laptop) w/ 2 Gb memory using Vista 64 until I learn Fedora. I need help in partitioning my HD with detailed instructions for the following:

c:\ 45 GB for Vista 64 -already installed

Fedora -not installed

/ Boot 128 MB

/ 15360 MB 15.0 G

/ Swap 2048 MB 2.0 G

/ Home 40.0 G

/ USR 15360 MB 15.0 G

/ TMP 2560 MB 2.5 G

Based upon my research these should be about correct. I will be using Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 (works in 64 bit Vista) and gParted. Question: Please explain in detail in what order, which to make primary and which logical partitions. This all new to me.

drunkahol
7th November 2007, 11:30 PM
My advice would be to just shrink the Vista partition to 45Gb. Make sure you do the filesystem AND the partition.

Then during the install, let Fedora use all the empty space and have it choose it's own partitioning layout. If you're new to Fedora/Linux, fiddling around with the partition table isn't the first thing I would be flexing my muscles on.

I've been using Unix/Linux/Red Hat/Fedora for 18 years now (Red Hat since 4.0 and Fedora since the beginning). Using the "standard" partition layout isn't a bad thing to be doing. With disks as big as they are these days, it seldom makes sense to hard partition your filesystems to set sizes.

Cheers

Duncan

crolma4
8th November 2007, 07:56 PM
I would recommend you create a partition that can be read by both Vista and FC8, perhaps using a vfat file system.
This will allow you to read the same files from each OS, which means that music, dloaded web pages, network confuguration settings, etc. can always be used without resoprting to duplication. Documents you can't seem to open with MS Word can be dropped there, and you can try using open office. With luck, open office can open them, and save them on the vfat partition in a format MS word can read.

I did this back in the days of Red Hat 9 and Windows ME, and I never regretted it. The only problems involved filenames with accents, and problems with case sensitivity. They OS's encoded accent characters differently, but that might have changed in recent years. The normal case-sensitivity of linux broke down for files stored on the vfat partition, so it seems to me that case-sensitvity comes from ext3, not linux.

Another use for such a partition would be to allow file sharing between multiple users of the fedora system. ext3 would be better for that specific goal, but vfat will do.