PDA

View Full Version : how LVM user keeps '/home' after a fresh installation of F8?

marklf
7th November 2007, 02:51 PM
I chose to format and install F7 only with '/' and 'swap' under LVM.

F7 seems perfect for me and I have stored a lot(about 20GB) in the '/home'.

I'm now planning to freshly install a F8. Problem is:

How can I backup the whole '/home' on my hard disks(I have 3 IDE HDs.) now and recover it when F8 installed?

Tijgertim
7th November 2007, 03:09 PM
Solution 1: Burn the data to a number of DVDs.

Solution 2: Disconnect the disks where the /home data is stored (it is safer than hoping it doesn't get overwritten) and then install F8
When you have installed F8, reconnect your data disks, restart, then link the /home directory to your data disks.

Only trouble is, with LVM, you will have the data striped over all the disks in your machine - thus solution 1 is really your only option (you should regularly backup your data anyway.

Why not buy an external HDD (300Gb + does not cost an arm and a leg these days and is always useful) and copy your /home to this during the installation of F8.

marklf
7th November 2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for Tijgertim.

Seems I have to either consider a portable mass storage or burn DVDs.

bradchaus
8th November 2007, 01:52 AM
your only option is to backup /home to another device. Using 1 volume for /, is no different in principle to using one partition for /. Had you made a volume for /home, that would have been able to be saved across the reinstallation.

marklf
8th November 2007, 02:56 AM
Had you made a volume for /home, that would have been able to be saved across the reinstallation.
Definitely! I am kind of so regretful that I haven't done a /home separately.