PDA

View Full Version : Update programs hiccup

samwedge
7th November 2007, 02:03 AM
Hi there,

While not strictly relating to the installation of Fedora, I believe my question is related so I hope I am posting in the right place...

After installing Fedora and a number of programs a popup appeared letting me know of some 250ish updates to my programs. I allowed it to update and let it do its business over night. After restarting my computer the next day I noticed that grub had three options for me instead of the usual two (Fedora and Win):

fedora 2.6.23.1-10.FE7
fedora 2.6.21-1.3194.FC7
other

I'm assuming the updates included something to do with Fedora itself, but why hasn't it just over-written the previous installation instead of giving me the option of loading the older version?

Can I get rid of this? Is it taking up much disk space?

Many many thanks,

Sam

Wayne
7th November 2007, 02:10 AM
Nope, that's entirely normal. The two entries are the original kernel and the new one. Fedora always keeps the last one as a backup in case the new kernel doesn't boot, has bugs, drinks your beer or dates your wife/girlfriend. Sure, you can yum uninstall it or tell Fedora not to keep the previous kernel, but it's better to be safe than sorry :)

Wayne

glennzo
7th November 2007, 02:13 AM
There was a new kernel installed. 2.6.23.-10.FC7. It's not an issue and not a problem. The nex update will remove the oldest kernel so you will always have 2. If you want to leave only the newest you need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and remove the associated stanza for the old kernel. You'll see something similar to this:

title Fedora7 (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
title Fedora7 (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img
title Windows Vista Home Premium
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +

In this example you would remove the 4 lines associated with kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7, save the file and you are done. Next time you boot you will see one Fedora option and Windows only. Again, if there's a kernel update after you edit the file there will be 2 Fedora options. Just edit again.

Edit: I see Wayne beat me to the punch. Fastest mouse button in Tokyo!

samwedge
7th November 2007, 02:13 AM
Excellent response time, Wayne!

Thanks a lot. I'll hang on to it just incase.

:D

samwedge
7th November 2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks to you too, glennzo. You posted quicker than I could say thanks to Wayne!

If only british telecom were a fraction of the speed of you guys and answering questions...