PDA

View Full Version : A quick http install question

shinychaos
5th November 2007, 02:32 AM
Hi, sorry to bug you all, but I've encountered some problems with the network install for fedora core 6. I'm installing it onto my sony vaio, 1.8ghz 2 gigs of ram, on a wired ethernet connection, and it seems to be freezing on 2 different parts. In the graphical install it just seems to stop at the 97% of the "checking package dependancies" stage; the cursor and my keyboard still work, and the cursor graphic are still going, but it stayed at that screen for over 12 hours.
And with the text mode install, it gets past that and stops on the "Setting up install, this may take several minutes" prompt, and its been there for over 5 hours.
So, my question is, how long are those screens supposed to take? I'm hoping I'm just being impatient or something.

Btw I'm using the mirrors.kernel.org mirror for this install.

stoat
5th November 2007, 03:30 AM
Hello shinychaos,

When I did an FTP installation of Fedora 7 just so I could say that I have done it, those screens did take a long time. But not that long. I think I tried a couple of different mirrors before the process would hum along better.

shinychaos
5th November 2007, 09:06 PM
Well, I was only using the http install because I was pretty sure my install disk 1 was scratched up, and have since reburned it, and now its doing the same thing on the cd install. It just sits there at the checking dependancies screen and doesn't go any further. Is there siome hardware problem it could be having? Its just kind of getting frustraiting. >.>

jtravnick
6th November 2007, 01:04 AM
is there any reason why you installing FC6? F8 is due out in three days and FC6 will no longer be supported as of December 7th. At this time I would advise you to hold off the three days till F8 comes out that way you will have about a full year before support on that drops off.

Jim

shinychaos
6th November 2007, 07:23 AM
Mostly because that's what I had access to. I've also recently tried with the live cd of core 7, with no success. It errored out at the finalizing installation screen. >.> More then likely its a hardware problem as I'm having trouble with windows on this machine as well.