PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Update pack ISO

linuxzouk
5th May 2004, 05:25 AM
I am a newbie here. Not sure anyone has done this before?

There are currently so many updates for fedora core 1. To update it with either up2date or yum seems like a nightmare over a dialup connection. Imagine doing that update everytime i install fedora. Gonna take ages for it to complete.

I couldn't wait, so I have asked a friend to download all of them, but to update them manually one by one and sit there wait, not a fun job to do.

To make my life easier, what I have done is compiled all of the updates including the srpms into cd (currently 3 cds already) and wrote a simple script to update all of them, all at one go according to their release date. Easier job right?

Just wondering wouldn't it be nicer and easier if there are update pack ISO to be available for download. Think it will help save a lot of time, money, bandwitdh and effort.

wshawn
5th May 2004, 11:47 AM
This isn't impossible nor is it practical. Updates role out constantly. What for Core 2 to go gold (leave BETA). Then get that.

Do you have a friend that has broadband that can snatch the iso's for you when that happens?

Bana
7th May 2004, 12:29 AM
The only reason that there are so many updates is that your update repo (setup by default) points to rahwide (the bleeding edge) which means that there are many many updates. Generally there aren't NEAR this many update on a stable final release. Also, for the tests don't really worry about updating to rawhide as it is not completely necessary.

Ned
18th May 2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by linuxzouk

I couldn't wait, so I have asked a friend to download all of them, but to update them manually one by one and sit there wait, not a fun job to do.

To make my life easier, what I have done is compiled all of the updates including the srpms into cd (currently 3 cds already) and wrote a simple script to update all of them, all at one go according to their release date. Easier job right?

There is a VERY easy way to do this. Just download (or get from a CD) all the updates, put them all in one directory, CD to that directory, then, as root, run:

rpm -Fvh *.rpm

The -F switch means freshen - it will only update those packages that are already installed and are of a lower version number (which is exactly what you want).

The one proviso to this is kernel packages. I would place ALL kernel packages into a seperate directory and install any that you want manually (with rpm -ivh kernel-version.rpm) so your original kernel is still available to boot in case of problems :)

This method is a lot quicker than running up2date etc :)

Ned

Jman
18th May 2004, 01:30 AM
If the problem is multiple installs, there should be a way to automate the rpm upgrades after install with a post install script.

No one to my knowledge has released an updates disk. The problem is that individual package upgrades come rather frequently. The current system is release Fedora every few months and have rpm download site for updates. It's not dial up friendly.

Ug
18th May 2004, 06:36 AM
I'm on a dial up - and I haven't updated in 3 months.

Get Fedora Core 2 today and get all the packages fresh. ;)

As long as you keep up with the updates then you won't have a problem as their generally only small. But occasionally there are big 70mb changes, which kinda stuffs me. :p

linuxzouk
18th May 2004, 08:22 AM
i'm getting fedora core 2 once it is out.

but in another few more months time, we will be back to the same issue, where fedora core 2 has plenty updates.

i know the updates are small, but look at

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/

the binaries and srpms can now actually fit into 3 cds. no way to use up2date cause that's crazy over dial up.

if only someone out there who has time, disk space, bandwidth that can come out with update packs, wouldn't it be great. just like microsoft windows update. they too have plenty of updates on windows update site. but once they have sufficient number of updates, they will come out with an all-in-one service pack.

i think lot's of people on dialup don't bother to update the minor updates (cause too many and too often), but would actually update once an all-in-one service pack is out.

well, i'm speaking from a desktop user point of view. forgive me if i sound naive :p

Ned
18th May 2004, 09:50 AM
I understand your problem.

We're moving house next week and get broadband at the new house in July.

If no one has done it before, I'll happily burn updates to a CD and mail them to users for the cost of the CD and postage.

Would be better if other people would do the same for other countries I guess :)

Ned

linuxzouk
18th May 2004, 11:07 AM
hmm, maybe should start a poll... see actually how many ppl here like to have an all-in-one service pack iso?

Ned
18th May 2004, 01:13 PM
I guess it's only really useful for those without access to a decent internet connection. But I guess there are still quite a few people in that situation.

Like I said, once I have broadband in July I'll happily do a CD for UK users :)

Ned

Dok
18th May 2004, 10:02 PM
A "Service Pack" would be useful. I have dial up at home (broadband not available except for $atelite) and I take my computer into work periodically to get updates.
Brad

Ned
19th May 2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Dok
A "Service Pack" would be useful. I have dial up at home (broadband not available except for $atelite) and I take my computer into work periodically to get updates.
Brad

Hey, is that the same Dok from amdmb?

Ned (Slider) :)

Dok
20th May 2004, 12:12 AM
Sure is! Hiya Ned!
I tried your method of burning to CD and updating from the command line- works like a charm. I'll try a kernel update on my test sytem next
:D

Ned
20th May 2004, 02:16 AM
Hi there Dok :)

It's amazing how many people overlook the -F (freshen) switch of RPM.

Yes, if you install (rather than upgrade or freshen) your new kernel with

rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.5.*whatever*.rpm

then it will install the new kernel leaving your original still in place so you can boot either from your boot loader (don't forget to rerun /etc/lilo if you're using it). That way, should the new kernel not work, you still have your original :)

Ned

Ned
20th May 2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by linuxzouk

i know the updates are small, but look at

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/

the binaries and srpms can now actually fit into 3 cds. no way to use up2date cause that's crazy over dial up.

Most users probably won't want the source rpms. Also, that dir often contains multiple updates of the same package (version X.1.0, X.1.1, X.1.2 etc). Again, most users will probably only want the latest versions. If there are multiple updated versions of large packages (XFree86, OO.o etc) then it makes it look worse than it actually is.

I have all the latest FC1 updates sat on my HD, latest only and no SRPMS, and the dir is currently 542Mb - easily 1 CD :)

So, even if you were to use up2date, you wouldn't need to download more that 542Mb (plus headers) for a full update, and that's if you have every single package installed on your system, which is unlikely.

Ned

Nefarious
23rd May 2004, 07:38 PM
I think that a service pack type of thing would be great for anyone.

I think it'd be a great idea if it were an autorunning update CD. So, you just have to put it in the CD Drive, and walk away. Perhaps a very good idea for those with DVD Burners so they can burn it, and any time they install any Fedora Release with a whole bunch of updates, you can just put in the DVD and walk away and it auto updates.

Perhaps, if someone(I might be persuaded to look into this and develop this if enough people would beinterested) made a program that someone can input all the rpms you want to install, update and freshen, and you can set special parameters for a set of rpms, and a scripts is burned to a CD to auto run when mounted and will do everything without any input from the user. This might be a very good idea for those still learning and who don't want to download the rpms again and again. Maybe scripts could be written to auto configure, make and install sources that people don't want to get over and over and install over and over if they have to re-install for whatever reason.

Just a note, I apologize if it sounds like random thoughts. When I saw this thread, it gave me some ideas, and as I kept goin' my ideas grew... lol

If anyone would like to talk about this in greater detail or would like to develop this themselves, or are interested in co-developing this with me... PM me and we can discuss this in private.

tux2furious
13th June 2004, 07:19 AM
An attempt to make an Update Pack

http://www.fedoraguide.org/fc2/fc2beginnersguide.html#rpmunofficialfc2updatepack

NeilO
5th July 2004, 04:18 AM
I am prepared to do the same for any one in Australia & maybe parts of asia/polynesia that don't have 'broardband'.

Jman
17th July 2004, 03:50 PM
There is a guide to rebuilding the Fedora Core 2 CDs at http://www.techonthenet.com/linux/fc2_update.htm, in case anyone wants to try making one. I mentioned it here (http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19129).

Good luck distributing it.

Ned
23rd July 2004, 11:57 AM
bump :)

Any UK users on dial-up want update CDs for FC1 or FC2, just drop me a pm :)

Ned

natasha
24th July 2004, 03:46 AM
Hi Ned,

Please forgive my 'newness' to linux - I have found myself with a labtop that has Fedora Core 1 installed on it- I can't even hook it up to the Internet! I am trying using ethernet connection but it says that it can't see the hardware - and won't activate....can you help me or is there anyone I can speak to on the phone? I am based in Montreal but I don't mind calling the UK if I can get cracking with this code!!
Kind regards.
natasha