PDA

View Full Version : (x64) Vista/FC7 Installation Dillema

P4rD0nM3
3rd November 2007, 06:27 PM
Hello, I'm trying to install FC7 on my desktop computer that has 200GB.

I shrink 200GB to 175GB for Vista and 25GB Unallocated.

I then booted my computer and tried to install FC7, all is well until I go to the part it asks you about partitions.

I can't see the 25GB in the hard drive list so I choose custom layout. And that's where I'm stuck.

What should I do to make FC7 automatically install in the 25GB without touching the 175GB I allocated for Vista?

It's asking me to fill in the size of /root and /swap stuff. Is there a way for it to automatically decide to choose the size?

Like I just click 25GB and it does the rest? Thanks.

Oh I'm using the DVD.iso not the LiveCD.iso.

Brian1
3rd November 2007, 06:38 PM
Is there actually a 25gig partition? Meaning that windows is not using some type of LVM system and all you did was shrink the volume within the partition.

Brian

P4rD0nM3
3rd November 2007, 06:58 PM
Well I finally understand some bits of it, like the main two things I need is /root and swap right?

Illustration here: Figure 1. (http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6140/fc7installprob1xe0.jpg)

I allocated 20GB to /root and 5GB to swap. Is that a smart move? I have 4GB of ram.

EDITED to eliminate horizontal scrollbars.

Dan

Brian1
3rd November 2007, 07:20 PM
Swap does not need to be that big with the size of ram you have. Even 1 gig would be over kill to me. In the old days when ram was expensive one would make a swap twice the ram size. Today unless certain things require extensive ram use swap is not needed to be large with large amounts of memeory. I myself have 2gig and use 512meg swap and have yet needed to access it.

I recommend 512meg swap, 100meg for /boot, 4gig for /home, and the rest for /

Brian

P4rD0nM3
3rd November 2007, 11:52 PM
Oh ok, is there an advantage in specifying the /boot and /home instead of just / and swap?

Moreover, is 25GB enough?

Brian1
4th November 2007, 01:32 AM
For /home you can at least save data if you reinstall or update a fresher copy of the distro. It is better to make regular backups of data that one can't do without. As for /boot it is created as ext3 real partition and can read by any other distro. Using something like riserfs may cause problems

Brian

stevea
4th November 2007, 02:35 AM
/boot needs to be on a primary partition with an ext3 or some other grub-recognized file system, but the separate /boot is only 100MB. swap should be bigger than real-memory, but same-size is OK. It's easier to reinstall "/" with a new distro and keep all your "/home, but doing a backup/restore isn't hard either. Don't worry about it.

If I were you I'd install fedora using "custom disk configuration" in the install menu, then select the 35GB free space you created (or free it as needed) and create a 1GB swap and a 24GB "/" as file-system-type "ext3", That's all you need.

You can try a more exotic partitioning when you decide to scrub Windoze off the other 175GM :eek:

ryptyde
4th November 2007, 03:01 AM
You should be able to just use the "install to freespace" selection. I have done 3 Fedora installs to laptops with Vista preinstalled. Then just chose to install Fedora to the "unallocated freespace" that was previously created with the Vista "disk management" tool.

It is really quite simple only one thing that will make it even more painless is knowing that you have created bootable install/recovery discs beforehand. :)

P4rD0nM3
4th November 2007, 03:24 AM
Won't choosing the "Install to freespace" install it in the Vista's freespace? I hold off on the installation and will wait for at least 6 more days for FC8, but I think I will do that stevea suggested.

Is /home the same thing as your account in Windows? Like your documents, music, videos, et. al.?

I'm about to do the following once FC 8 comes is out.

25GB

/boot 100MB (Does this change? Or is this always at 100MB no matter what)
/home 4GB
swap 4GB
/ What's left.

Is that practical?

Dan
4th November 2007, 04:20 AM
Yes, that will do. It really isn't practical, as that kind of swap file is overkill in the extreme, but it'll surely do.

However, just a wee bit of an up-front heads-up. I think you've given Windows way too wide of a berth. You'll soon be shrinking that even further.

Also, you may wish to shrink your above graphic to under 400 pixels wide.

I HATE horizontal scroll bars! <..:D..>

Other than that, welcome aboard! Have fun, and remember that you can install or reinstall fedora as many times as your heart desires, without calling the SS up in Redmond to make sure it's ok first.. And if you break it, enjoy! You get to keep all the pieces!

Dan

ryptyde
4th November 2007, 01:42 PM
Won't choosing the "Install to freespace" install it in the Vista's freespace? I hold off on the installation and will wait for at least 6 more days for FC8, but I think I will do that stevea suggested.

Is /home the same thing as your account in Windows? Like your documents, music, videos, et. al.?

I'm about to do the following once FC 8 comes is out.

25GB

/boot 100MB (Does this change? Or is this always at 100MB no matter what)
/home 4GB
swap 4GB
/ What's left.

Is that practical?

No! Here's an excerpt from the Fedora installation guide located at http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/ch-disk-partitioning.html

Use free space on selected drives and create default layout

If the selected drives have free space that has not been assigned to a partition,
this option installs Fedora into the free space.
This option ensures that no existing partition is modified by the installation process.

EDIT: I see you are installing from the DVD and that should not be a problem, my only other advice would be to not choose a lot of extra packages to install as you will be inundated with "updates" as soon as you connect to the net. I have been as of late doing near minimum installs and then adding packages as needed.