PDA

View Full Version : Why I didn't like Fedora 8

travisvolta
2nd November 2007, 03:26 PM
Hello Fedora folks,

First of all, I'm sorry for my poor English. I am writing in a hurry, so please forgive me. You will find this review heavily biased because of my love with Ubuntu.

Downloaded FC 8 RC3 Live CD to play with. At the beginning, I did not quite get the login screen. It invited me to enter my username and password. It really took me a minute just to click on the Fedora icon to get through. Silly me, I know, but why don't you add some message explaining user what to do? I would think that user switcher in Live CD is not necessary - after all, Live CD contains only one user anyway.

I was very disappointed that I could not find any package manager in the default install. In Ubuntu we have one (called Synaptics). It's an essential part of the operating system, and in my humble opinion, Fedora is pretty useless without it.

The next disappointment came when I tried to enable 3D effects. It simply displayed an error message saying that 3D effects could not be enabled. I know, I know, I should not use nVIDIA graphics card, but anyway, the system should be more intelligent that it currently is. I spent 10 minutes searching the net on information about how to install nVIDIA driver under Fedora, but was unable to find the right info. Anyway, the user is expected to know exactly why the Desktop Effects do not work, and exactly which driver (nvidia or nvidia-legacy, etc) he needs. You can't expect that from an average user.

On the bright side, I found the PulseAudio volume control to be amazing. It' s a pitty that you have not entirelty replaced (or at least, integrated with) the default ALSA mixer. I mean, it would be great if you could change volume on app-by-app basis just by clicking on volume icon in the system panel.

To sum up, I found the latest Fedora to be quite impressive, but I'm not moving away from my Ubuntu anytime soon.

goldenbrown
2nd November 2007, 03:35 PM
cool.

Perhaps you could wait until you weren't in a hurry before posting a review of a release candidate, or hey, wait a couple of weeks and see how the released version suits.
As for your other points, I'll leave that for someone else to comment.
Please don't feel the need to apologise for your english, better than most native speakers I know.
Welcome to the forums and I'll look forward to hearing more.

Nigel

Wayne
2nd November 2007, 03:35 PM
Umm, can I borrow your time machine? Fedora 8 hasn't been released yet. It's still a release candidate and has some bugs, just like any other distro. When it's released in about a weeks' time and it still doesn't work properly then come back and complain.

Wayne

JN4OldSchool
2nd November 2007, 03:38 PM
Well, without being harsh, maybe a little research on what YOU are doing BEFORE you jump into a distro, a TEST BETA at that, is in order?

Dan
2nd November 2007, 03:49 PM
OK. This one is nothing but pure concentrated liquid flame bait!

Travisvolta, thank you for your opinion. As you have said, Ubuntu is your first love, and there is a brand new version (7.10) fresh out of the oven that would seem to meet your needs. After F8 is released as an official version and not a test release, I hope you will try it again. In the mean time ...

Thread closed.

(1)