PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Screensaver keeps activating early

ChrisSavery
1st November 2007, 02:39 AM
Hello,

I've set the screen saver to activate in 5 minutes using the System,Preferences,Look&Feel menu option.
But it keeps coming on even after less than a minute. Maybe 30 seconds or so. Actually it even comes on even when I uncheck the "activate when idle" option. WTF?

Does someone know what the underlaying config file is for this so I can go check if something is wrong there? I should probably remove it but I've already wasted lots of time on this.

Alternately, my screen saver config could be mucked up because I tried to install xscreensaver and then unistall Gnome screensaver, in an attempt to get the RSS ones installed. And then found you can get the RSS ones in a package together with Gnome screensaver, so then I reinstalled this and removed xscreensaver. Actually now I'd like to get xscreensaver with rss and drop gnome because the gnome one offers close to zero flexibility in selecting and configuring modules. I can't for the life of me figure out why they replaced the very configurable xscreensaver with this new thing. So I guess if there is a straightforward way to install RSS+Xscreensaver in F7 and remove gnome screensaver I'd do that.

Thanks,
Chris :)

LostSon
1st November 2007, 04:27 PM
Well I am not sure why this would do that but I do the same thing as you after a fresh install I do a

yum remove gnome-screensaver

then

yum install xscreensaver

Everything has worked very well here, some files to look at maybe

/home/you/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver
/home/you/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver/%gconf.xml
/home/you/.xscreensaver

Hope this helps.

Dies
1st November 2007, 11:25 PM
So I guess if there is a straightforward way to install RSS+Xscreensaver in F7 and remove gnome screensaver I'd do that.

Thanks,
Chris :)

Easiest way is with yumex, if you don't have then you should get it

su -
yum install yumex -y

Now just run Yumex, you can find it in Applications>System Tools , and search for screensaver. remove gnome-screensaver and anything with gss in it then just install xscreensaver and rss-glx package. ;)

BTW not sure if it's still the case but you may have to add the rss-glx files to your ~/.xscreensaver or the config in /etc, see the README for details.

I just use the Gnome screensaver now, but it is unfortunate that you manually have to edit the .desktop files to get the effects that you want. :(