PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7, PPC, no DVD drive, how do I install?

dmbyer
1st November 2007, 12:46 AM
I have an old Mac G4 that I am putting Fedora on. Right now I have Core 6, but I want to upgrade to Fedora 7, for various reasons (namely the most updated software packages).

My computer does not have a DVD drive, so I can't burn the disc to install it. I have been searching high and low and can't seem to find a solution on how to do this. I have heard of network installations, but everything I read on it is very unclear, or has no instructions.

It is a 32-bit PPC with just a CD-ROM drive, as well as 2 USB ports. Is there any way I can get Fedora 7 on this machine? Thanks in advance for any tips, solutions, or articles where I can research more.

ppesci
1st November 2007, 04:08 AM
Hey, you are right, no cd version :(. I have an old G4/400 with FC6 too and don't saw the problem until now. Time to complain mb :(.

Radicalation
1st November 2007, 04:26 AM
This thread might help...

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=164188

dmbyer
1st November 2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the link. gparted does not apparently see Logical Volumes, so I had to literally reformat by re-installing Fedora Core 6, lay out just the bootstrap/root/install partitions, and now I get to actually go through the instructions and try them out.

Hope it works! And talk about a pain :( Good thing I didn't have much set up so far, considering I knew I wanted to get Fedora 7.