PDA

View Full Version : FC7 + Java Sun 6u3

dk_sn1p3r
1st November 2007, 12:28 AM
A while ago I installed Java Suns newest Runtime Environment and looking at the forums here now I think it went south when I installed the rpm version instead of the self extracting binary. How would I go about uninstalling the rpm and installing the other version. I followed the instructions on the suns web site about installing the rpm but I'm still a little fresh to Linux to know what to do from here. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and a side note this is a fresh install of fedora that I put Java on so it's not a problem with other versions just the latest rpm I installed.

Thanks in advance!

ariskk
1st November 2007, 12:32 AM
when it comes to java, I never use rpms. I recommend uninstalling all rpm java versions and downloading the bin self extacting distro of jdk.

dk_sn1p3r
1st November 2007, 12:50 AM
How would I use rpm in a root shell to uninstall cleanly?

Would this work:
rpm -e --allmatches jre-6u3-linux-i586.rpm

dk_sn1p3r
1st November 2007, 01:24 AM
This is odd it's telling me from rpm that jre-6u3-linux-i586.rpm is already installed when I try to run rpm install under a root shell. Yet it's telling me it's not there and I can't uninstalling it because it's not installed.

I have no idea what to do anymore?!?

Edit nvm I can uninstall it from the package manager but for some reason it wouldn't let me via console when i was sudo'd as root weird.

dk_sn1p3r
1st November 2007, 02:19 AM
Fancy that I uninstalled the rpm and installed using the other version of sun java and java still doesn't work. I've tried disabling selinux and that hasn't worked. I've also tried putting symlinks in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory and in the latest firefox directory to no avail. I'm stumped why java still isn't working any help would be appriciated. Oh i'm trying to use firefox to use java in if that makes a differance. Also i've tried disabling noscript and disabling adblocker plugins for firefox and that makes no differance still.... I may just say forget linux and stick to windows for gaming.

bob
1st November 2007, 02:25 AM
Interesting! I've just installed it on Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 and also find out that it's not working. The install went fine (several times) and the symlink's nice and green and even the "about:plugins" is showing the install...yet no java! Perhaps it's Sun's fault?

leigh123linux
1st November 2007, 02:28 AM
Fancy that I uninstalled the rpm and installed using the other version of sun java and java still doesn't work. I've tried disabling selinux and that hasn't worked. I've also tried putting symlinks in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory and in the latest firefox directory to no avail. I'm stumped why java still isn't working any help would be appriciated. Oh i'm trying to use firefox to use java in if that makes a differance. Also i've tried disabling noscript and disabling adblocker plugins for firefox and that makes no differance still.... I may just say forget linux and stick to windows for gaming.

try

su
yum install compat-libstdc++-*

dk_sn1p3r
1st November 2007, 02:34 AM
Yes that did it I wonder why those files aren't included in the installer. LOL Odd. Well thank you very much =-P

leigh123linux
1st November 2007, 02:44 AM
Interesting! I've just installed it on Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 and also find out that it's not working. The install went fine (several times) and the symlink's nice and green and even the "about:plugins" is showing the install...yet no java! Perhaps it's Sun's fault?

Hi Bob

try

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 libgcc1 libxp6

bob
1st November 2007, 02:54 AM
Hi Bob

try

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 libgcc1 libxp6

Ah, if it were only that:

bob@bob-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 libgcc1 libxp6
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libstdc++5 is already the newest version.
libgcc1 is already the newest version.
libxp6 is already the newest version.

Thanks though. I'm giving a couple more things a try.

Daur
1st November 2007, 11:05 AM
same problem here...
jre installed successfully
but NOT recognizing by browser :(
i have tried both the files provided by SUN
and also the instructions on their website...

HELP coz i want to install LimeWire p2p and it needs jre installed :(

thanks

A.Serbinski
1st November 2007, 03:24 PM
First off, contrary to what some people would tell you, the RPM install is perfectly good.
The rpm puts its files in /usr/java/(whatever version) and then creates a symlink to it at /usr/java/latest.

IN ORDER FOR JAVA TO WORK from the command line, you either need to call its path explicitly, or add it to the PATH variable.

IN ORDER FOR JAVA PLUGIN to work, you need to symlink it into your mozilla directory.

ONLY THE 32BIT JAVA comes with a plugin (unless they've recently changed this).

LIMEWIRE IS WORSE than any virus. Try USENET instead.

bob
1st November 2007, 04:49 PM
Good points, but there may be some problem with the latest Sun Java since I've been doing this since FC-2 and have never had it fail before.

My Fedora install (32 bit) with an earlier version is working just fine, but Ubuntu Gutsy (32 bit) is failing even with the Automatix setup and then the manual (me) setup & symlink to both mozilla & firefox plugins.

Perpetual
2nd November 2007, 01:24 PM
I tried installing java in 7.92 Rawhide (10/29/2007) and could not get it to work in Firefox. Visiting the test java page kept saying I needed to install the java plugin. After hours of attempts and 2 reinstalls I gave up.

Edit: too much of a noob with this to attempt to point fingers but I didn't think the problem was a Fedora problem. It might be that the 4 different guides were too outdated for FC8 but everything appeared to install and link properly as yum reported no errors...

leigh123linux
2nd November 2007, 01:55 PM
I tried installing java in 7.92 Rawhide (10/29/2007) and could not get it to work in Firefox. Visiting the test java page kept saying I needed to install the java plugin. After hours of attempts and 2 reinstalls I gave up.

Edit: too much of a noob with this to attempt to point fingers but I didn't think the problem was a Fedora problem. It might be that the 4 different guides were too outdated for FC8 but everything appeared to install and link properly as yum reported no errors...

Java + plugin are really easy in Rawhide just use icedtea

su
yum install java-1.7.0-icedtea java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin

P.S jre 1.6.0 wouldn't work for me either ;)

Perpetual
2nd November 2007, 02:01 PM
leigh123@linux, thanks for that. Had no idea it existed. I am new to Fedora, have spent 2 years with the more 'out-of-the-box' distributions and quite frankly, I think I have let intimidation get the best of me. I am currently with Ubuntu and have a lot of confidence with it, the cli and hacking small things to get them working. The 48 hours I spent with FC8 though left me feeling defeated and sent me back to Ubuntu with my tail between my legs.

I am going to give it another go though. I know that I will never learn if I don't deal with these things. I was able to get everything else I needed working, only Java wasn't working for/with me.

One question, with each new java release, I assume that I will have to uninstall and then install icedtea with the newest release?

Again, thanks for the information.

leigh123linux
2nd November 2007, 02:06 PM
leigh123@linux, thanks for that. Had no idea it existed. I am new to Fedora, have spent 2 years with the more 'out-of-the-box' distributions and quite frankly, I think I have let intimidation get the best of me. I am currently with Ubuntu and have a lot of confidence with it, the cli and hacking small things to get them working. The 48 hours I spent with FC8 though left me feeling defeated and sent me back to Ubuntu with my tail between my legs.

I am going to give it another go though. I know that I will never learn if I don't deal with these things. I was able to get everything else I needed working, only Java wasn't working for/with me.

One question, with each new java release, I assume that I will have to uninstall and then install icedtea with the newest release?

Again, thanks for the information.

As icedtea is provided by the fedora repos ( F8 only ) it will be updated automatically :cool:

Perpetual
2nd November 2007, 02:11 PM
Swell. Thanks for that.

Perpetual
2nd November 2007, 03:23 PM
Java + plugin are really easy in Rawhide just use icedtea

su
yum install java-1.7.0-icedtea java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin

P.S jre 1.6.0 wouldn't work for me either ;)

Ok, I still have the same issue when ever I browse to http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml, it says I need to install the plugin.

[landon@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost landon]# yum install java-1.7.0-icedtea java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin
livna-development 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 207 kB 00:01
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin.i586 0:1.7.0.0-0.19.b21.snapshot.fc8 set to be updated
filelists.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 8.9 MB 00:27
filelists.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 95 kB 00:00
---> Package java-1.7.0-icedtea.i586 0:1.7.0.0-0.19.b21.snapshot.fc8 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: tzdata-java for package: java-1.7.0-icedtea
--> Running transaction check
---> Package tzdata-java.noarch 0:2007h-1.fc8 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
Installing:
java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin i586 1.7.0.0-0.19.b21.snapshot.fc8 development 20 k
Installing for dependencies:
java-1.7.0-icedtea i586 1.7.0.0-0.19.b21.snapshot.fc8 development 29 M
tzdata-java noarch 2007h-1.fc8 development 166 k

Transaction Summary
Install 3 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 29 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/3): java-1.7.0-icedtea 100% |=========================| 29 MB 01:35
(2/3): java-1.7.0-icedtea 100% |=========================| 20 kB 00:00
(3/3): tzdata-java-2007h- 100% |=========================| 166 kB 00:00
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Installing: tzdata-java ######################### [1/3]
Installing: java-1.7.0-icedtea ######################### [2/3]
Installing: java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin ######################### [3/3]

Installed: java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin.i586 0:1.7.0.0-0.19.b21.snapshot.fc8
Dependency Installed: java-1.7.0-icedtea.i586 0:1.7.0.0-0.19.b21.snapshot.fc8 tzdata-java.noarch 0:2007h-1.fc8
Complete!
[root@localhost landon]#

Not sure what to do from here. I restarted FF but I will try rebooting.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2120/1827577988_e108da8805.jpg

Perpetual
2nd November 2007, 04:19 PM
I just read on the forums that IcedTea was working in FC8 T3. I have installed FC8 Rawhide 10192007. I am doing a batch of 74 updates right now. Will those updates bring me up to Test 3 and is it possible that the problem I am having is related to the fact that I am not running T3?

Weee, it works after the updates. Sorry for the waste of space. Off to feel like an idiot on my own...