PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 8 series

Gauvenator
31st October 2007, 10:50 PM
Are GeForce 8 series graphics cards working well with Linux?

I'm interested in purchasing the new 8800gt to replace my temporary 7600gs.

Seve
31st October 2007, 10:53 PM
Hello:
The short answer is yes. :)
You can check for you card's nVidia Linux driver support here :
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.19/README/appendix-a.html

Seve

Kid744
16th November 2007, 11:14 PM
There is now a new driver from Nvidia that includes support for 8800gt cards. Previous to this driver, there was no way to get the Nvidia driver to work with 8800gt cards. I have purchased one and have been anxiously awaiting a chance to try it out in Fedora. Hopefully the waiting is over and the new driver will allow me to play QWET in Fedora again!!!

New Beta Nvidia Driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_169.04.html)

Kid

hiberphoptik
16th November 2007, 11:27 PM
ive been using an 8800 GTS with linux since it came out... no problems at all with the official nvidia drivers

Kid744
17th November 2007, 01:08 AM
While your card has been supported, the 8800GT has not had a driver to support it since its release a few weeks ago. The only way to get into X with it until today was to use the Xorg driver with a special patch. Today's release is significant due to the inclusion of the 8800GT as a supported card. Just restating to clarify for anyone who was wondering. The new beta driver release also fixes some of the various bugs in the previous driver version(s).

Kid

Gauvenator
17th November 2007, 01:16 AM
Thx for the info! Sounds like the driver should be very good by the time I get one...christmas maybe

Kid744
17th November 2007, 04:38 PM
Just to note, the drive installs fine on my system (Fedora 7) but will not initialize the 8800GT when I try to start X. I think I have to wait for the Kmod from livna since the Fedora kernel is using the new load balancing option and I remember reading where that confuses the Nvidia driver. I will report back in a few days after the new kmod is available. I am not 100% sure they will build the kmod due to this being a beta release, but I am sure hoping they do....

Kid

Gauvenator
23rd December 2007, 06:06 PM
OK so I'm getting one, and I was wondering if I need to reinstall the driver when replacing a graphics card. Of course I would be running 169.07 which is compatible.

Kid744
26th December 2007, 08:15 PM
Not knowing how much the binary part of the driver adapts to different GPUS, I would say remove the driver and reinstall when you put your new card in your machine. I don't have experience with the sort of upgrade you are going to do. But I will tell you that the 169.07 driver should be researched for current issues over at nvnews.net before you go that route. I am currently playing it safe and not using the kmod on my Fedora8 install. I now my card and motherboard do not play well with the 169.07 driver and yum will keep trying to install that driver if I use kmod. I currently am using the nvidia supplied installer and 169.04 drivers. Let us know how it works out.

Kid

Gauvenator
26th December 2007, 08:56 PM
OK so I just got the 8800GT, and I'm planning to install F8 over my current linuxes, so I don't have to worry about driver reinstallations. I post back about how the 169.07 drivers workout.

Gauvenator
28th December 2007, 12:33 AM
I've got F8 installed now...I'll post back in a few hours about how the drivers go...

Gauvenator
28th December 2007, 01:13 AM
ouch...I was in Fedora for about 10minutes and then it froze with graphical corruption. I was updating, and I hadn't even installed the nVidia driver yet.

I've had this problem before...can someone give me instructions on how to installl the driver in a non-x environment? I'll do an init 3 as root....then I need instructions. I have the livna installation package on my desktop.

Kid744
28th December 2007, 01:36 AM
The threads I have read today seem to indicate that there might be problems with the Livna repo right now with regards to nvidia drivers. I would recommend for the short term that you pull the installer from nvidia instead (I like the 169.04 better for now) and install it. You will have to uninstall and reinstall the driver any time your kernel is updated with this method. But you will avoid any problems that currently exist with 169.07 and/or livna updates for nvidia driver right now. Be certain you have not installed the kmod-nvidia if you use this method. You must remove the kmod if you have installed it before using the nvidia installer. There is a command line switch for the nvidia installer to remove it if you don't like it or are having troubles.... ( --uninstall ) .

This is a link to the download page for the 169.04 driver (32bit):
169.04 beta 32bit driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.04.html)

Instructions for installling are on that page. If you need/want the newer driver, you can just click on the upper left side of the nvidia page to "download drivers" and fill in the boxes to find the newest driver.

I would also mention that the driver(s) do not control the fan speed on the card properly. If you play 3d games with the card it will get hot. Search the forums for "nvclock" for a method to change the fanspeed....

Let us know how it goes.....

Kid

Gauvenator
28th December 2007, 02:29 AM
I finally got the driver installed from the kmod (169.07). It seems to be working fine so far...except like you said the fan speed isn't correct. It jacked it up to 100% immediately...lol it's really loud now.

Kid744
28th December 2007, 06:32 PM
You can use NVClock to control the fan and monitor temps + other things. You have to get the cvs version for it to work. The instructions for getting the cvs version are here:

NVClock CVS (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=21335)

There will be a README file that details how to compile it for your system. Follow the instructions carefully and don't miss any steps. When you are done you can make a launcher for the graphical version nvclock_gtk and you will be able to use it while in X.

Kid

rexbinary
28th December 2007, 06:41 PM
I finally got the driver installed from the kmod (169.07). It seems to be working fine so far...except like you said the fan speed isn't correct. It jacked it up to 100% immediately...lol it's really loud now.

There is a thread about this on nvnews.net in their Linux forums.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104713

Any Nvidia card with a controlable fan will be stuck at 100% at all times when using the 169.07 drivers. Nvidia responded and acknowledged the issue, and said it would be fixed in the next release. But work on the next release will not begin untill after the Holidays.