PDA

View Full Version : Error while initializing the sound driver

JustRob
31st October 2007, 10:48 PM
I started Juk to play a cd and got the following error:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (no such file or directory)
The sound server wil continue, using the null output device

Now I'm not getting any sound. When I try to start Rythmbox I get:

Couldn't Stop playback
Unknown playback error

LostSon
1st November 2007, 04:30 PM
Sounds like your alsa or something is not working. What soundcard do you have ? Have you tried running the soundcard config utility ? What kind of file are you trying to play ? When I used KDE I would get this once in awhile because of Arts not working properly.

JustRob
1st November 2007, 11:10 PM
The sound card is an nVidia MCP51 High Def Audio

I started the audio configuration and tried testing the sound. The sound test worked and now Juk is working. I was trying to play mp3 files. What is Arts?

I'm knew to Linux. I started using it for the free engineering apps. I'm so busy working on a project I haven't had the time to really learn about the os.

I use to use Rythmbox. Quite some time ago I downloaded and installed updates. The next time I logged in Rythmbox crashed. I was too busy to deal with it. Now I tried Rythmbox and it's working.

JustRob
1st November 2007, 11:11 PM
The sound card is an nVidia MCP51 High Def Audio

I started the audio configuration and tried testing the sound. The sound test worked and now Juk is working. I was trying to play mp3 files. What is Arts?

I'm knew to Linux. I started using it for the free engineering apps. I'm so busy working on a project I haven't had the time to really learn about the os.

I use to use Rythmbox. Quite some time ago I downloaded and installed updates. The next time I logged in Rythmbox crashed. I was too busy to deal with it. Now I tried Rythmbox and it's working.

Thanks for the help