PDA

View Full Version : NoMachine server failing connections

drunkahol
31st October 2007, 07:53 PM
I've got F7 i386 installed on my "server" and F8Test3 x86_64 installed on my "desktop".

On these I have installed the free NoMachine packages (nxclient, nxnode and nxserver).

From both machines, I can connect to my cosmopod.com account via the nxclient.

From the F8Test machine I can connect to the F7 machine using nxclient.

But for the life of me I cannot connect from the F7 machine to the F8Test machine using nxclient. The above tests lead me to believe it's either something to do with F8 or the x86_64 architecture of the "desktop".

Has anyone installed the free nxserver (not freenx) on either x86_64 or F8Test3 and got it working? If so, I'd love to know how. When connecting to the "desktop" machine, the NXClient produces the following log:

NXPROXY - Version 3.0.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2007 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '7897'.
Session: Starting session at 'Wed Oct 31 18:49:09 2007'.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Info: Using LAN link parameters 1536/24/1/0.
Info: Using pack method 'adaptive-9' with session 'rootless'.
Info: Using product 'LFE/None/LFEN/None'.
Info: Not using NX delta compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB data compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
Info: Not using a persistent cache.
Info: Forwarding X11 connections to display ':0.0'.
Info: Listening to font server connections on port '11005'.
Session: Session started at 'Wed Oct 31 18:49:09 2007'.
Info: Established X server connection.
Info: Using shared memory parameters 1/2048K.
Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy.
Error: Connection with remote peer broken.
Error: Please check the state of your network and retry.
Session: Terminating session at 'Wed Oct 31 18:49:13 2007'.
Session: Session terminated at 'Wed Oct 31 18:49:13 2007'.

The failed session appears in the /usr/NX/var/db/failed file as such:

sessionName=desktop
reconnectionIsSupported=1
ShadowMode=0
display=1005
status=Error
startTime=1193856551
ShadowAuth=0
endTime=1193856562
foreignAddres=192.168.1.70
remotexcookie=22298E1FB26F4EE272B2FBCAE25DCBB8
agentPid=9989
sessionRootlessMode=1
type=unix-default
sessionId=4F01140141EB764533AE24BA8210280F
creationTime=1193856545
BalanceNodePort=22
error=NX Node finished with:?0aError: Unexpected termination of nxagent because of signal: 11?0aSession monitor for session id 'desktop.innes.net-1005-4F01140141EB764533AE24BA8210280F' finished with errors:?0aNXSessionMonitor::error at NXSessionMonitor.pm line 1387.?0aUnexpected termination of nxagent?0a
BalanceNodeHost=localhost
userName=duncan
serverPid=9992
screeninfo=1680x1000x24+render
agentUid=500
geometry=n/a

Any ideas?

Cheers

Duncan

ms9580
26th February 2008, 02:53 PM
Did you get the problem resolved? I am facing the same issue and haven't been able to find any hint of solving this, as yet.

Regards.

drunkahol
26th February 2008, 03:14 PM
Yes - problem resolved in the end.

From memory, it was SELinux that was preventing the connection. The home directory of the nx user is in a non-standard place, so SELinux stepped in and prevented the connection having access to the directory.

The latest versions of No Machine work well now.

Am using it reasonably well to support my parents machine over an internet connection.

Cheers

Duncan

ms9580
26th February 2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Well it seems I have a far more daunting task as SELinux on my box is disabled. What I get is that the connection establishes and when NX Client is just about to show me the desktop ... it disconnects and i get

Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy

For now googling also hasn't been of any particular help.

Well ... let's see what the future holds :)

Thanks again.

Regards,
Sohail

drunkahol
26th February 2008, 04:24 PM
Are you on the latest rpm packages from NX? Did you download and install all three?

The latest versions are a case of

1. Download packages from NX
2. Install all 3 packages on client and server machines
3. Connect

It's as simple as that!

Cheers

Duncan

ms9580
26th February 2008, 04:42 PM
Yes I did. And I agree it is a very simple installation method. Infact I had installed the previous version on Ubuntu without a hinch.

I don't know if the latest version (3.1.0-5) has a problem with Fedora 8 or is it my machine that is screwed up. But the latter seems a bit odd too because its a fresh installation.

Still looking here and there but haven't found anything yet.

Regards,
Sohail

drunkahol
26th February 2008, 04:48 PM
Try the NX forums/bug list. Takes a bit of finding, but there's a fair bit of info on their own site.

Duncan

ms9580
26th February 2008, 06:02 PM
GOT IT!!!

Well not exactly :)

I installed freenx and nx packages.

yum install freenx nx

Then executed the following command as root

cp /etc/nxserver/node.conf.sample /etc/nxserver/node.conf

Then executed the setup (again as root) and followed the steps.

cd /etc/share/doc/freenx-0.7.1
./nxsetup

Then I installed the latest client from www.nomachine.com and imported the following key in the client (on a Windows Xp Machine)

/etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key

And its working like a charm.

I haven't been able to figure out what the problem with NX (www.nomachine.com) packages is but have a hunch its some compatibility issue. Will look into that also.

Thanks for your time Duncan - drunkahol.

Regards,
Sohail

drunkahol
27th February 2008, 09:53 AM
Ah - you're using freenx as part of it. I'd use the free versions available on the NoMachine website.

ms9580
27th February 2008, 02:57 PM
Initially I was not using FreeNX. But as the NoMachine stuff wasn't working, I tried it and was successful in geting things working.

Out of an unexplainable curiosity I uninstalled freenx and nx packages and tried to install NoMachine packages. And it's working now.

I have no idea why it's working now or what is that step that I wasn't doing first. Anyways now my concerns are of different things and I will put them in another post.

Regards,
Sohail

stepher
29th March 2008, 11:27 PM
Initially I was not using FreeNX. But as the NoMachine stuff wasn't working, I tried it and was successful in geting things working.

Out of an unexplainable curiosity I uninstalled freenx and nx packages and tried to install NoMachine packages. And it's working now.

I have no idea why it's working now or what is that step that I wasn't doing first. Anyways now my concerns are of different things and I will put them in another post.

Regards,
Sohail

Maybe all the folks here having difficulties with nxserver and Fedora 8 have since resolved their issues. However, I thought I'd throw in some info which may be of help to others.

After a recent update to Fedora, I noticed that my nxserver (I use nxclient to connect from a WinXP sys to my Fedora box) stopped working. Based on the error logs, it seemed to be an sshd issue with SELinux that blocked my nxclient from tunneling into my Fedora box. Just on a speculative lark :) I uninstalled the nx s/w from my Fedora box and then reinstalled it. Of course I had to regenerate the key, but it worked again.

My limited sage wisdom tells me that the update to the Fedora security system must have changed something to disable access to the nxserver. The reinstall must have corrected (updated?) the security parameters in some way. (someone who understands this much better than me...which is prob'ly most people ;) might be able to explain it).

Anyway, hope it helps....

Cheers...Steph