PDA

View Full Version : FC7 boots from live CD, but not from SATA HD

adrianwb
31st October 2007, 12:48 PM
It's my first post here. I'm reasonably competent in linux, but have got stuck so hope someone can help. My system is a Shuttle XPC SD32 with Intel Core2 Duo, Maxtor 320Gb SATA HD, 2 Gb RAM. I installed the default Xen (2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen) and standard (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.i686) kernels - boots ok into the Xen one, but won't switch off without holding down the power button. Searched the net for answers without much success - mostly involving apm instead of acpi, but apm isn't supported in the xen kernel as far as I can see (no options when doing a make menuconfig if I try to build a new kernel). So thought I'd revert back to basics (can do without Xen) and try the standard kernel which does support apm.

The computer boots into grub fine (mbr on /dev/sda), but there is absolutely nothing after the initrd line (even with no quiet on the options) - it's as if the kernel can't see the SATA HD. I've messed about with various acpi, noapic options but nothing - it just waits there. The keyboard is alive and I can do Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot. Same happens if I install newer i686 kernels (it won't let me install x86_64 ones, but I guess I need a whole new set of cds for that).

The weird thing is that if I boot off the FC7 live cd (with the exact same standard kernel), everything is fine - it even shuts down nicely, so what's the difference??? I'm thinking it's something to do with the initrd line not loading the SATA driver properly???