PDA

View Full Version : evolution, postfix and local e-mail

prt7u
30th October 2007, 09:05 PM
Howdy,

Quick question. Just installed FC7 (with all the latest updates etc.) and have a working postfix installed and delivering and receiving e-mail with no problems.

How in blue blazes do I configure evolution to point to the local mailboxes?

Please help,

Pete

skeptic
30th October 2007, 10:58 PM
I always use imap and pop connected to a separate server, but I just checked an my evolution has an option for "standard unix mbox or spool dir" option (or something like that). Is that not working or do you not have that as an option? Never tried it myself.

jims
31st October 2007, 12:28 AM
Take a look at edit preference mail accounts. You will need to create an account that points at your local mail.

Under the receiving email tab, specify server type: local delivery and under the configuration path: specify /var/spool/mail/username, where username points to the appropriate username on your linux box.

Further, if you need to connect to a mail hub to deliver smtp mail you will also, under the sending email tab, need to specify server type: smtp, server: fully_qualified_smtp_server, and username:, the username that gives you access to the smtp server.

Cheers

Jim

prt7u
31st October 2007, 12:11 PM
skeptic and jims,

Thanks for the replies. On the way home last night I was thinking that I should have added more information as to what I had tried already and not have been so vague.

The problem is that I cannot set the configuration path to the mailbox file. It says that the folder could not be created and that already exists. jims, instead of there being a box to type the path, there is a drop down box for me to choose, not add via typing.

The version of evolution installed here is: evolution-2.10.3-4.fc7

Any other ideas?

Pete