PDA

View Full Version : How to use Mutt and Thunderbird for managning the same account

fmoreau
30th October 2007, 09:34 AM
Hello,

I'm wondering what would be the best setup for using these 2 client emails for managing the same email account. I don't think thunderbird can deal with unix mail box.

Thanks for any hints.

pobbz
30th October 2007, 09:45 AM
Hello.

I don't think thunderbird can deal with unix mail box.

I don't think that either. However, I have the setup you just described on my box.

I've provided local mailbox access for thunderbird to use with dovecot imap server. So basically thunderbird connects to local imap server as it would do to any remote mail server.

fmoreau
30th October 2007, 12:34 PM
Hello

I've provided local mailbox access for thunderbird to use with dovecot imap server. So basically thunderbird connects to local imap server as it would do to any remote mail server.

Good idea !

So if I understand you correctly, both Mutt and Thunderbird connect to you local imap server ?

Are you using fetchmail to retrieve emails from the remote mail server ?

Thanks

pobbz
30th October 2007, 03:32 PM
So if I understand you correctly, both Mutt and Thunderbird connect to you local imap server ?

Umm... I'm not sure actually, but I think Mutt accesses the mailbox directly on disk, while thunderbird connects to dovecot.

Are you using fetchmail to retrieve emails from the remote mail server?

I'm not doing any fetching here. My remote mail is not fetched to my local mail box.

I just described one way to access local mailbox with thunderbird. How mails end up in the local box is a different thing entirely. In my setup the local mailbox exists only to store messages sent daily by a cron job that parses syslog messages, formats them nicely and sends through sendmail (I can't remember what the cron job is called, I'm not on my box right now...). So my local mailbox stores only messages sent locally. Therefore, Mutt has no idea about remote mail boxes that I have configured in thunderbird.

Of course you could probably fetch mail from remote mail accounts to your local box with e.g. fetchmail. However, as I said, that's a different can of worms, and I really can't help you with it, as I have no experience on it.