PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 Test 3 << INIT : "x" respawining too fast: disabled for 5 minutes >>

mikhael
28th October 2007, 06:35 PM
Hi guys..
I wanted to give Fedora 8 Rawhide a try but I get that message from the title in i386 and x86_64 releases after I installed them on my machine.. (Athlon64 X2 @ 3800 MHz , 2x512 MB RAM, ASUS M2NPV-VM, Palit 8600 GT Sonic+)
Any ideas to solve this ?

scottro
28th October 2007, 07:35 PM
I've usually had this when I installed X but didn't install gnome. Apparently it looks for gdm (or perhaps kdm) when booting into runlevel 5, and if it can't find either one, it will give the above error.

The other reason is that it couldn't find the driver for your video card.

In that case, figure out what card you have and see if the driver is installed. I'm in FreeBSD right now, I can't think of the typical driver syntax, but it's something like x86-xorg-driver-ati (or whatever your video card is.) So you can try something like rpm -qa |grep ati or grep mga to get the name, as those are usually installed by default. So, see if that driver is installed.

Depending upon your level of expertise, from there, you can look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if the card is listed in there. (If this makes no sense to you, then don't do it, it's a bit more advanced)

Hopefully though, it will be the simpler one, that you don't have gdm installed. One thing you can do is change your start level from 5 (graphic) to 3 (text style login) and try to troubleshoot the problem from there. To do this, you would edit /etc/inittab and look for a line saying default:5: (or something similar--again, I'm not writing this from a Linux box so can't be more exact.)

Change that 5 to a three.

You might find, if you do alt+F2, that you have a standard login screen on the next console. If you do, try logging in then typing startx to see what happens--if it doesn't start X, at least there might be some error messages that will give you a hint of what to look for next.

mikhael
30th October 2007, 10:44 PM
Thanx for your reply and sorry for my delayed one..
I did changed the runlevel from 5 to 3 and now I cannot login .. it says "Login incorrect" right after I type root and press Return to enter the password .. I cannot login with my regular user either.. Also I checked /etc/X11/xorg.config and it seemed ok using the nv driver for my video card..

contraculto
31st October 2007, 05:47 AM
it happened to me while installing a new video card once, i just switched to initd 3 and ****ed up th e xorg.conf, put the vesa driver and random stuff, so then i rebooted and as it didn't work it just created a new xorg.conf. then logged in and set things up straight. a bit messy but i got it working.

scottro
31st October 2007, 05:47 PM
Hrm, I haven't run into that particular situation. When it does the respawning too fast, does it eventually land you at a command prompt?

I'm assuming you're not locked out of the machine--if worst came to worst, you can boot into single user mode and reset the password.