PDA

View Full Version : problem with Fedora-7-KDE-Live-i686.iso

jasee
28th October 2007, 01:38 PM
Hi,
I've checked the sha1 of this iso, its correct. I've created the cd rom twice. I've even checked the crc of the files within the iso and cds. (I've created many isos in the past).
On two machines this cd gives errors and won't load eg:
ata2.01: excetion Emask 0x0 Sact 0x0 Serr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata2.01: cmd a0/01:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/b0 tag 0 cdb 0x28 data 4096 in
(there are a few of these errors)
Then I get cannot find root file system plus a whole load of other stuff and the cd stopsd loading.
Has anyone else seen this?

wintermute000
28th October 2007, 02:42 PM
does your system work with other live linux CDs? like knoppix etc. if not then theres probably some hardware you have that does not play nice with linux.
can you give us the error msg its giving you.
unfortunately some hardware will take work to get running. good news is that there's probably a way once we diagnose the issue

jasee
28th October 2007, 03:03 PM
does your system work with other live linux CDs? like knoppix etc.

Thanks for your reply.
It works fine, knoppix live cd, parted live cd and others, suse linux ten is installed on that computer . It doesn't work on another computer either which also works fine with the other live cds. It just seems to be this one.

wintermute000
28th October 2007, 03:10 PM
hmmm probably an issue then with the kernel on the live cd. As you know Fedora kernels are bleeding edge (I never update my working kernel unless I have to.... because of issues like this!!!!!!!!).

try to track down the error (what is the error msg? ) etc. then you can try using a kernel switch (i.e. add some parameters to the kernel line, you get the option during startup).

Neb
28th October 2007, 03:14 PM
Are they all burnt on the same media type (eg CD-R, CD-RW etc), as I've had some issues in the past with certain types not booting

jasee
7th November 2007, 08:29 PM
Are they all burnt on the same media type (eg CD-R, CD-RW etc), as I've had some issues in the past with certain types not booting

yes they are, just an ordinary type of cd-r which I've used for booting everything else.

jasee
7th November 2007, 08:40 PM
try to track down the error (what is the error msg? ) etc. then you can try using a kernel switch (i.e. add some parameters to the kernel line, you get the option during startup).

How do you add a kernel switch to a live cd, the only option is tab, actually if you pres esc you get to a boot prompt but what do you add there?

FriedChips
7th November 2007, 08:45 PM
usually something like

linux acpi=off
or

vmlinuz acpi=off

the acpi=off is just an example, but you get the point.

jasee
7th November 2007, 09:14 PM
usually something like

linux acpi=off
or

vmlinuz acpi=off

the acpi=off is just an example, but you get the point.

Sorry, I'm an idiot: I don't :-)
What would be nice would be able to write the errors to a floppy so I could paste them in here.

FriedChips
7th November 2007, 09:20 PM
that is not so you can record the errors, that is how you can add a kernel argument to the liveCD per your question above. You can probably just write down the error(s) it is giving you right?

jasee
7th November 2007, 09:31 PM
that is not so you can record the errors, that is how you can add a kernel argument to the liveCD per your question above. You can probably just write down the error(s) it is giving you right?

Can't I just save a log file of the errors to a floppy? There's about a screen full of them! Too much to write down.
Surely there's a boot command like: linux log: a\log.txt !

FriedChips
7th November 2007, 09:39 PM
welp after all of these errors do you even have a command prompt? cuz if you don't your pretty much f$#^ed... do you see any lines that say something about kernel panic? Can you take a picture of the screen with a digital camera or something?

jasee
7th November 2007, 09:43 PM
Actually f1-f12 do nothing when from the boot menu but if you press tab you get to see the full command line its about to run and you can edit it. Interesting, but it doesn't help.

jasee
7th November 2007, 10:22 PM
welp after all of these errors do you even have a command prompt? cuz if you don't your pretty much f$#^ed... do you see any lines that say something about kernel panic? Can you take a picture of the screen with a digital camera or something?

Here's a picture:

http://www.anonimouse.btinternet.co.uk/slide/fed.jpg

But there's a few more screen fulls before it finally expires. It looks to me as though it's not reading the disk correctly but see my original post.

FriedChips
7th November 2007, 11:44 PM
by any chance is this a sata optical drive?

jasee
8th November 2007, 09:16 AM
No stardard ide dvd reader/writer. Also doesn't work on another machine with the same.

jasee
8th November 2007, 07:08 PM
Stranger and stranger, I just tried an oldish iso of Ubuntu 6.06.1 which failed to load in a similar manner, never getting to a graphical interface, then I tried the latest Ubuntu 7.10 which loaded perfectly

JN4OldSchool
8th November 2007, 07:14 PM
what graphics card do you have? nVidia by chance?

jasee
8th November 2007, 07:55 PM
what graphics card do you have? nVidia by chance?

No, its an Ati Sapphire Radeon 9250

FriedChips
8th November 2007, 08:03 PM
Hmmm. Maybe give fedora 8 a shot then.

jasee
8th November 2007, 09:56 PM
just did that exactly the same result . The only other thing on that machine is an adptec 2930u2 controller which isn't recognised by xp. I'll try it on another machine: identical spec through different dvd drive and different adaptec controller. They both boot from IDE disks however. Shouldn't matter anyway to live cd

jasee
8th November 2007, 10:33 PM
FWIW it did finally boot on the other machine, although there were a few error messages, and also on a third machine also with error messages.
These error messages seem to be of the form:
buffer i/o error on device sr0, logical block 178487.
(think this is the cd disk being misread?)
Needless to say I don't nowadays get any error messages on any of these machines when starting other live isos.

jasee
30th November 2007, 06:31 PM
These error messages seem to be of the form:
buffer i/o error on device sr0, logical block 178487.
(think this is the cd disk being misread?)
Needless to say I don't nowadays get any error messages on any of these machines when starting other live isos.

I recently tried a live version of BSD which also seemed to have difficulty reading the disk. So I replaced the dvd/cd writer with a new cd writer. After rewriting the BSD disk it worked on all machines. However, even after rewriting and loading the Fedora live cd on same machine I get many errors and it fails to load. Federa 8 loads and actually works (after giving a few 'buffer i/o error on device sr0, logical block 178487' errors!) However neither version will work properly on two other machines. So, I'm going to give up with Fedora, I'm just writing this in case anyone else has a similar problem.

bingoUV
30th November 2007, 09:50 PM
Failure to read disk is not a fatal error for live CD. I have booted from many live CDs without a hard disk, without any extra configuration. It makes a ram filesystem. Do you have very little ram? I don't know how little is too little, but you could check.

jasee
30th November 2007, 10:28 PM
Failure to read disk is not a fatal error for live CD. I have booted from many live CDs without a hard disk, without any extra configuration. It makes a ram filesystem. Do you have very little ram? I don't know how little is too little, but you could check.

About half a gig on most machines, plenty to boot Ubunto, Knoppix, BSD, plus various PE disks. Thanks, but I know these disks run in memory. I'm not sure what you mean "failure to read disk is not a fatal error for live CD" AFAICT the errors I'm getting are failures to read the cd.

bingoUV
30th November 2007, 10:54 PM
Sorry, I meant hard disk. Failure to read cd will of course be fatal error.