PDA

View Full Version : Bad crashing

Koskos
28th October 2007, 06:34 AM
Hmf, very annoying. Every few hours Fedora completely freezes for no reason, often while doing something mundane such as typing some text - the hard-disk read light is not blinking but I cannot do anything, mouse does not move, keyboard commands get no response (of course Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't work). Usually the screen stays looking normal with everything still being displayed, but last time it happened the screen went black.

Only thing that does work is a hard reset.

The only thing I can think of that I changed recently was using the package manager to get the latest fglrx drivers, I tried removing/reinstalling them but that did not solve it.

How can I fix this / find out what is going on?

Zotter
28th October 2007, 07:09 AM
Ram test time!

Koskos
28th October 2007, 08:48 AM
Ran Memtest86, passed perfectly.

Koskos
28th October 2007, 09:45 AM
I should add that Windows XP seems to work flawlessly. So I doubt that the problem is with any of my hardware.

PatMcLJr
28th October 2007, 06:04 PM
I have had bad ram test perfectly for 3 days with memtest
once removed the computer worked fine, acua;;y it seemd to work fine with the bad ram untill it hikuped and RF'ed the hd

Now I'm not say yours is bad, simply pointing out that some times it's hard to tell.

Pat Jr.

Koskos
29th October 2007, 10:37 PM
I still doubt that it's my RAM. Haven't seen any problems on Windows, only Fedora complains and coincided with me updating my latest drivers.

I guess I will try to kill everything and try a clean install when Fedora 8 comes out.

skeptic
29th October 2007, 11:00 PM
I still doubt that it's my RAM. Haven't seen any problems on Windows, only Fedora complains and coincided with me updating my latest drivers.

I guess I will try to kill everything and try a clean install when Fedora 8 comes out.

Not that it helps solve your problem, but I had an issue in the past where Linux started crashing often and windows ran flawlessly. I was running gentoo at the time and thought I messed it up, so I reinstalled Fedora only to have the same problems. New motherboard CPU and video card (same memory, HD, OS installation etc) and all was well. In fact, I've never had a sporadic system crash like you describe that wasn't hardware related.

One other thing you may check that I just thought of, you may be overheating. Hate to say it, but at least in the past Windows seems to have dealt better with throttling back the CPU and avoiding overheating where Linux chugs along until it crashes. Hardware vendor supplied drivers do have some advantages.