PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

TheMadIndian
27th October 2007, 05:33 PM
Hi All, this is my second post and I hope you can send me in the right direction, I am extremely new to Linux (Windows Admin for 12yrs and DOS before that), I've been able to figure out a great deal in the short 3 weeks I've been running Fedora 7 and I have grown to truly appreciate it and now i want to run it as my main OS but I require all my windows tools and VS .NET to do my job effectively I've managed to work from Fedora for two days at work by using RDP to hit servers to use AD tools I normally would run from my laptop but if I have to do any programming or scripting (vbscript) its going to be a challenge under this config. I recently got a 100gb drive and I had been running Fedora through VMWare in windows on my 40gb drive which I ghosted using ghost server and then dumped that image to the 100gb drive. I then wanted to see how far I had come and installed Fedora on my 40 gb drive I have managed to get everything working within Fedora, ie networking including wireless, my sierrawireless 595U aircard, my usb external floppy, VMWare and finally the cisco vpn (having profile problems but I plan to sort that out today)

A little about what I am trying to accomplish

I want to run Fedora on the 100gb drive and run windows from WMWare but I want my existing OS

So this is what I had planned to do,
1. ghost both drives using ghost server (deal with the IDE controller in XP... if you want to know ask me)
2. Load the Fedora image to the 100gb drive
3. Create a floppy image of my DOS boot disk (runs ghost and loads network since VMware in linux refuses to see my external floppy as a floppy (FD0))
4. Create a VM for XP
5. Boot the VM using the floppy to connect to the ghost server and load the XP image

Then I saw this (Which I assume means my idea of ghosting Fedora down and back is out)
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76940

Then I saw this while searching for creating a floppy image and seems very kool but I wouldnt attempt on a laptop if I dont have to but I can protect myself using ghost with the XP image
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=166890&highlight=Floppy+image

Any help, ideas, suggestions are extremely appreciated

I guess I could try the second post if all else fails I will ghost the 100gb (XP) and then install Fedora resize the partitions and run vmware and see what happens but would much prefer not to go that route as drive contention may be an issue

Thanks

Jman
29th October 2007, 02:42 AM
To be clear, as you reimaging everything again, only this time with Fedora as host and XP as guest?

What you propose sounds possible.

The first link does seem to be a G4L vs. Acronis, with a brief anecdote that Ghost didn't work. You might just try Ghost anyways.

TheMadIndian
29th October 2007, 04:52 AM
To be clear, as you reimaging everything again, only this time with Fedora as host and XP as guest?

What you propose sounds possible.

The first link does seem to be a G4L vs. Acronis, with a brief anecdote that Ghost didn't work. You might just try Ghost anyways.
Thanks for the reply

Ghost didnt work out for me with Fedora but the XP image is safely on my server and on a spare drive

Yes I want to run XP in vmware but I have been having issues with the pcndnet (sp?) (the ones I believe vmware uses) drivers in dos, I did get the floppy image to work though

So I used gpart to resize my drive to make room for Fedora but cant find my license keys for vmware so I havent gone any further other than to install Fedora and get it configured as it is on my 40gb drive

When I run from the 40gb drive (F7 with vmware) as the vm starts and loads the dos drivers I see the network icon flash and then it hangs so I assume I am either having issues with the driver or that I have never successfully gotten vmware using bridged networking to work while wireless I'm going to run a quick test tomorrow when I am docked at work (where bridged has worked on F7)

So we'll see but as it stands I am currently dual booting thanks to gpart so maybe I will try that link I mentioned and run windows natively after all I do have two copies of the xp image :)

TheMadIndian
29th October 2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the reply

Ghost didnt work out for me with Fedora but the XP image is safely on my server and on a spare drive

Yes I want to run XP in vmware but I have been having issues with the pcndnet (sp?) (the ones I believe vmware uses) drivers in dos, I did get the floppy image to work though

So I used gpart to resize my drive to make room for Fedora but cant find my license keys for vmware so I havent gone any further other than to install Fedora and get it configured as it is on my 40gb drive

When I run from the 40gb drive (F7 with vmware) as the vm starts and loads the dos drivers I see the network icon flash and then it hangs so I assume I am either having issues with the driver or that I have never successfully gotten vmware using bridged networking to work while wireless I'm going to run a quick test tomorrow when I am docked at work (where bridged has worked on F7)

So we'll see but as it stands I am currently dual booting thanks to gpart so maybe I will try that link I mentioned and run windows natively after all I do have two copies of the xp image :)
Bridging works while wired to the network, I've confirmed my vmware config and
eth0 bridges to vmnet0
wlan0 bridges to vmnet2
cipsec0 bridges to vmnet3

That same config works on XP, I do remember reading about a patch for vmware workstation it may be worth a try as I would need this to work whether I load the ghost image to vmware or try that link