PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

alongwor
27th October 2007, 04:20 PM
Hi all,

I don't know if I am unlucky or if this is an overall problem with x86_64 Fedora and SATA.

I have so far tried two different motherboards (one for AMD and one for Intel) and several (about 5) different hard drives. Every time I get a system installed but after a short running time get into problems with the hard drive.

This time what I have is continued messages from anything to a few minutes to a few hours of up time saying that there are SATA bus errors, or I/O errors writing to device and finally dead I/O device errors.

As much as I love to use linux, I currently have two pretty expensive desktop systems that will not stably run Fedora Core.

Someone tell me there is a magic cure that I am missing before I quit and go back to windows. I have put too much money into these two computers to start again.

Okay, now I have vented my frustrations help me get something running.

Andy

Reisswolf
27th October 2007, 04:35 PM
Have you tried doing a Google search with your error messages? What results did you get?

Since version 6 I have been using Fedora x86_64 with Intel hardware. I have never encountered a problem. Maybe if you provide more details about your errors, those more knowledgeable than I will be able to give you some useful advice.

leigh123linux
27th October 2007, 05:56 PM
I run both F7 & F8 x86_64 and have 4 SATA drives that work without issue

kadambi
27th October 2007, 06:07 PM
I could not get Fedora 7 X86_64 on this system. I got SATA bus errors and my SATA HDD would not be detected:

ASUS M2A-VM HDMI AMD 690G MicroATX
Corsair PC6400 800MHz 4GB memory
Samsung SATA 250GB HDD

However it did boot up fine with Fedora 8 Test3. I have installed it successfully. The onboard graphics does not have Free 3D support. I don't run onboard graphics. I have ATI X800 graphics and Xorg rnis it fine with 3D HW acceleration

kadambi
27th October 2007, 06:11 PM
Try Fedora 8 Test3 candidate. Since Fedora 8 will be released soon, you should be fine with it. I had similar problems with Fedora 7 x86_64.

Good luck.

leadgolem
27th October 2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I occasionally have the same issue with my abit nf-m2s. Nice to hear that it seems to be fixed for f8.

alongwor
28th October 2007, 11:50 AM
Okay here is something more specific seen as I have vented a little frustration.
The current system is running on an Asus P5N-E SLI board. Most of the errors are somewhat difficult to capture as once it happens nothing is written to a log and the computer cannot be used.
I captured this message this morning after the computer had been running for about 10 mins.

scsi 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
EXT3-fc error (device sda1): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #100859927 offset 0

Edited to add
After the above error I rebooted and after the grub welcome scream I am greated with

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
Press any key to continue...

I then power the thing down and back on, and this time I get

GRUB Lading stage2 Read Error

I cant believe that I have bought 5 hard drives that are all faluty.

Any ideas other that "upgrade"?

Andy

leigh123linux
28th October 2007, 12:09 PM
Okay here is something more specific seen as I have vented a little frustration.
The current system is running on an Asus P5N-E SLI board. Most of the errors are somewhat difficult to capture as once it happens nothing is written to a log and the computer cannot be used.
I captured this message this morning after the computer had been running for about 10 mins.

From that point nothing can be done, the system need to be rebooted.

Any ideas other that "upgrade"?

That doesn't look like a SATA fault , it looks like a problem with the sda1 partition ext3 file system.

edit grub on boot up so you boot into runlevel 1 ( hit Esc on boot up then to edit hit e )

you do this by adding a 1 to the fedora kernel line

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-35.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/123456 rhgb quiet 1

Then run fsck

fsck -y -f -v /dev/sda1

alongwor
28th October 2007, 12:50 PM
It looks like now it has given up completely :mad:

leadgolem
28th October 2007, 12:53 PM
Could be that your sata controller is faulty.

alongwor
28th October 2007, 12:58 PM
Could the SATA controller be faulty? Possible but I would be astounded to find that two mother boards exhibit the same problems. Both are from ASUS so possible some Fedora/ASUS dislike I would guess.

kadambi
28th October 2007, 04:15 PM
What SATA HDD is it?

Get the vendor HDD diagnostics and run it to make sure the controller is detected and HDD is OK.
Its possible that the HDD might just have read errors (the ext3 errors are indicative of it).
To erase the read errors, you can do a low level format with the vendor diagnostics.

Is the BIOS chip set in "AHCI" mode or "IDE Controller" mode?

Let us know.

Good luck.

leadgolem
28th October 2007, 04:42 PM
Could the SATA controller be faulty? Possible but I would be astounded to find that two mother boards exhibit the same problems. Both are from ASUS so possible some Fedora/ASUS dislike I would guess.Hmm, somehow I missed the fact that you were refering to 2 boards.

What chipset are the boards?

The intermittent issues I've had were with the nvidia 405 chipset. Also, on my board this only seems to occur with partitions exceeding 60gb. I haven't had anything smaller give me issues.

alongwor
29th October 2007, 11:51 AM
I need to double check what the chipset's are for each board...
The partitions are for sure bigger than 60gb. Is this a known "issue" or is it just coincidental that your partions are not bigger than 60gb?

leadgolem
29th October 2007, 05:13 PM
I don't know if it's a "known issue". I just observed that I didn't have any problems with the drive when accessing partions under 60gb. I formatted the drive several different ways when trying to figure out what the fly in the ointment was. It's a 250gb maxtor, and breaking it down into 40gb partitions made my problem disappear.

This isn't my primary HDD, and I backed everything up, so I had the leisure to experiment. It is entirely possible the issues you are having don't have anything to do with the occasional problems I have.

alongwor
29th October 2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the help so far guys.

The disks that I am currently using are two Seagate ST3500630AS (500Gb SATA drives). I have downloaded the Seagate test utilities and it is currently running the long disk check. The short disk check result said the drive itself was okay.

The motherboard in use is the at the moment is my ASUS P5NE-SLI which according what I can see is running the nvidia nForce 650i SLI chip set.
I started the computer from the Fedora 7 DVD and brought up the recovery console and ran fsck. This didnt tell me much (error wise) so I take that as a good think although I am not familiar with the utility at all.

During this I have noticed is two things. Firstly, the system seems to be much more stable running the originally installed kernel from when I first made the system compared with the current latest kernel. Secondly, I seen to get into big problems when trying to run or configure VMWare (kills the system). So my next test when the disk check has finished it to run on the original kernel without vmware and see what difference that makes.

rweed
29th October 2007, 10:30 PM
Could the SATA controller be faulty? Possible but I would be astounded to find that two mother boards exhibit the same problems. Both are from ASUS so possible some Fedora/ASUS dislike I would guess.
Do you need to enable large disk support in BIOS...is that even needed any more?

Mivo
1st November 2007, 03:53 PM
I have had similar issues with a SATA drive and an Abit AB9 Pro, but they were fixed in FC8. It did not work in FC7 and still doesn't work most of the time with other distros. Only OpenSuSE and FC8 seem happy with the hardware.

alongwor
2nd November 2007, 03:09 PM
So far between the disk check and an update to the kernel a few days ago, things seem to be a whole lot more stable. I think when Fedora 8 is officially release I shall be upgrading and see how stable it is. Then maybe spend some time on the second box if and when that is running better.

leadgolem
3rd November 2007, 02:46 AM
So far between the dick check . . .
Been to the doctor lately then? ROFLMAO

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

alongwor
3rd November 2007, 11:29 AM
Edited ;-)

gatecrasher
16th November 2007, 05:29 PM
Try passing irqpoll to the kernel line upon boot.

If you're doing an install, for example, pass:
linux text irqpoll

Once the installer is running, it will ask you again in a section if you want to pass any options to the kernel when booting, put irqpoll in there too.

/gC

~frank
16th November 2007, 11:07 PM
I encountered a similar problem a while back with disks acting flaky. Over time, I had slowly been adding more things to my system and then I started having problems. I tried troubleshooting for quite a long time until it hit me - my power supply (350w) was too small. It was that simple - I put in a bigger PS and all the disk flaky-ness went away.