PDA

View Full Version : Odd Issues with PS3 Fedora 7 Install

tUmOr
27th October 2007, 04:16 PM
I'm a linux n00b having some issues with the installs I put on my PS3. The issues are as follows:

With the kernel that comes with the Fedora 7 install DVD (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7) a cd is recognized and files can be read from them, but the PS3 ejects the cd at seemingly random times (if a program is accessing the cd drive, error messages will pop up saying the cd drive is being accessed and cannot eject). Also reboot and shutdown does not work (known issue with this kernel).

With the updated kernel from using yum (2.6.22.9-91.fc7) the cd drive does not appear when a cd is placed in the drive. Also reboot and shutdown does not work (again a known issue).

With the experimental kernel (2.6.23-g78ca43dd) again the cd drive does not appear and this time the system logs me out at seemingly random intervals. But the reboot and shutdown works with this kernel. I compiled this using the instructions found here: http://www.renderstate.de/?p=9

Has anyone seen these issues before or have any idea on the best way to fix them? I've been parting together information from different forums throughout the web and may have created some problems by doing that. I've been installing fedora in the following manner:

I used the bootbld from the PS3 add-on cd burned from iso (CELL-Linux-CL_20070831-ADDON.iso) found here: http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/

At the kboot prompt with the Fedora 7 install DVD inserted, I typed "linux video=720p" to start the installer at the proper resolution.

Instead of LVM I selected "create custom layout" and used a 768 meg swap and the rest of the harddrive for an ext3 file system with a mount point of "/".

I disabled SELinux and installed the development libraries and tools. After install I updated everything using "yum update". I installed:

glibc-kernheaders-2.6.23-20070817.ppc.rpm
kexec-tools-20070810-1.ppc64.rpm
ps3pf_utils-2.0-1.ppc.rpm

from the add-on cd by double clicking on the icons in the target folder (though I have no clue what these do :) ).

Thanks for any help you can provide. If you need to see any output files/logs please let me know the proper way to get to those. I'm lucky if I remember how to power on the PS3.

bob
27th October 2007, 04:45 PM
(moved to Installation)