PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 New Installation to Linux

theWayner
27th October 2007, 02:33 PM
I am waiting for the release of Fedora 8 before I begin my journey into switching from Vista to linux based os. I am requesting any/all info (point me in the right direction) of proper installation, building the "perfect" program ( what to include and exclude) and specifically contecting to a wirless network (home) for web/email access. I know this is asking a lot. but if I can shorten the learning curve I would appreciate it.

Thanks

jim
27th October 2007, 02:43 PM
do you want to dual boot vista & fedora? do you want to have just fedora ? is this a laptop/ desktop?

what wireless card do you have?

theWayner
27th October 2007, 03:42 PM
I am waiting for the release of Fedora 8 before I begin my journey into switching from Vista to linux based os. I am requesting any/all info (point me in the right direction) of proper installation, building the "perfect" program ( what to include and exclude) and specifically contecting to a wirless network (home) for web/email access. I know this is asking a lot. but if I can shorten the learning curve I would appreciate it.

Thanks
1. I will do a dual boot system until I get to know Fedora well

2. Laptop - Pavilion DV6500 w/120 G and 2 GB DDR2 mem

3. Wireless card - Intel Pro/Wireless 4965 AGN w/bluetooth

rjstaaf
27th October 2007, 03:53 PM
Just be sure to realize that with any new release there WILL be issues and LOTS of updates for about the first few weeks or so after it is released. Don't get discouraged....

Dan
27th October 2007, 04:32 PM
Morning, Wayner.

Jim just gave you a gold mine of information, but didn't draw the map. Hit the first link in his signature, the one that says, "My Linux Site."

You'll want to bookmark it, I suspect.

Dan