PDA

View Full Version : Black screen after installing kmod-fglrx

forkbomb
27th October 2007, 03:47 AM
Installed kmod-fglrx to try to get some decent video drivers. Video rendering painfully slow with the ATI card in that computer - I was trying to run glmatrix under xscreensaver and the digital rain was just crawling down the screen. Anyway, after running yum install kmod-fglrx I ran livna-config-display. That done, it wanted me to reboot, so I did, and now after starting Udev I just get a totally black screen.

Before this I had installed some drivers from freshrpms (forget the package name) but it was a one time install (I don't have both Freshrpms and livna enabled). I removed the old ones because they didn't prove to be the ticket.

Running the old kernel gives me the same problem, so I'm at a total loss how to remove the package or at least get some video.

(PS -what is the consensus on getting decent ATI drivers under Fedora? It's so easy for NVIDIA but with my ATI card I have nothing but problems no matter what drivers and modes I use.)

ppesci
27th October 2007, 06:19 AM
Livna repo works fine as ati drivers repo, but incompatible with freshrpms.

Of course, your card must be supported by the driver, you can see what card are supported in www.ati.com

brr872002
27th October 2007, 06:26 AM
Installed kmod-fglrx to try to get some decent video drivers. Video rendering painfully slow with the ATI card in that computer - I was trying to run glmatrix under xscreensaver and the digital rain was just crawling down the screen. Anyway, after running yum install kmod-fglrx I ran livna-config-display. That done, it wanted me to reboot, so I did, and now after starting Udev I just get a totally black screen.

Before this I had installed some drivers from freshrpms (forget the package name) but it was a one time install (I don't have both Freshrpms and livna enabled). I removed the old ones because they didn't prove to be the ticket.

Running the old kernel gives me the same problem, so I'm at a total loss how to remove the package or at least get some video.

(PS -what is the consensus on getting decent ATI drivers under Fedora? It's so easy for NVIDIA but with my ATI card I have nothing but problems no matter what drivers and modes I use.)
Boot in init = 3 and try to reconfigure X

forkbomb
27th October 2007, 06:55 AM
I know freshrpms is incompatible with Livna. That's why I removed the one from Freshrpms (I don't have freshrpms enabled, I just did a one time install, like I said).

As far as init=3, that's the problem. The screen blanks before I get to a login screen. Gets a little bit into booting the kernel and then the screen blanks.

Is there something I can do with system rescue?

hammel
27th October 2007, 08:14 AM
while the kernel is loading press "i" for interactive booting.

forkbomb
27th October 2007, 09:47 AM
while the kernel is loading press "i" for interactive booting.

Doesn't do anything. I hit I and it still goes through to loading udev after which the screen still blanks.

Are there any options I might be able to pass to the kernel with GRUB for now so I can get in and reset my xorg.conf and take off the bad drivers?

EDIT: or at least boot into text-only so I can yum remove the packages and go to my old xorg.conf?

I'm beginning to think it's not worth it. It's a brand new install so if I reinstalled it's not like it would be a big deal...

hammel
27th October 2007, 09:58 AM
a yeah, sorry! it's to early in the morning ;o)

boot with the rescuecd.iso:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/iso/F-7-i386-rescuecd.iso

forkbomb
27th October 2007, 09:52 PM
Nevermind. Reinstalled.