PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7 suddenly not working

generollins
26th October 2007, 08:04 PM
Hi

I'm fairly new to linux. I finally took the plunge and decided to install it on my laptop. All went well. I installed it on a partition i created with partition magic. I have one hard drive thats 100GB split into 4. One is the Acer restore partition that i can suposedly restore my laptop back to what it was when i first bought it. The next 2 are C and D both 50GB ish and then i created a LINUX partition of 15GB after the D drive.

Anyway i installed linux on the LINUX partition and it was working fine. I then wanted to get my linux connected to the internet. I found an article in enable Network Manager. I typed the following code in terminal.

su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on'
su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManagerDispatcher on'
su -c '/sbin/service NetworkManager start; /sbin/service NetworkManagerDispatcher start'

came back with [OK] etc. exited the terminal and played around on linux for a while. Turned laptop off and went to bed!

Got up this morning wanting to get the laptop connected to my wireless router in my office. Whilst booting up it loaded like normal but when i chose Fedora the black screen came up with loading red hat 7 etc and wouldn't load. Basically i couldn't load linux but i could load XP media centre.

I decided to install a fresh copy. What a mistake! I bunged the CD in and rebooted came up with the screen to install etc. Selected install fresh copy and then it came up wanting to test the media on the CD and it basically got stuck everytime i wanted to go through.

ctrl alt delete a couple of times to try and sort it out. Didn't work so i logged in to XP and formatted the partition. Thought i'd start again. Now whenever i boot my latop all i get the the ACER screen to go into BIOS and this message.

Grub Loading stage 2...

(next screen)

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (631K lower / 915000K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename. ]

grub>

now i'm really stuck. I can't remember where i installed LINUX apart from on the 4th partition which i think was sda4???

help??????

ppesci
26th October 2007, 08:59 PM
if you do a clean install, the dvd will show thw partition table, Likely all linux partitions installed in and after 4 partition.

The problem in your case appear to be in the install DVD.

HTH

generollins
26th October 2007, 09:06 PM
So do you think i should try another DVD of Fedora 7???

ppesci
26th October 2007, 10:04 PM
Try to install from your DVD as you did the first time, If you has problems with the DVD, maybe you can think in download/burn again. Check the media to see if there are errors.

HTH

generollins
26th October 2007, 10:20 PM
ye i already tried that. And theres no errors on the disk. It doesn't matter whether the DVD is in the drive or not just seems to ignore it

ppesci
26th October 2007, 11:17 PM
The install process stuck just after the a successful media check?.

If so... that is really weird

brr872002
27th October 2007, 06:10 AM
Hi

I'm fairly new to linux. I finally took the plunge and decided to install it on my laptop. All went well. I installed it on a partition i created with partition magic. I have one hard drive thats 100GB split into 4. One is the Acer restore partition that i can suposedly restore my laptop back to what it was when i first bought it. The next 2 are C and D both 50GB ish and then i created a LINUX partition of 15GB after the D drive.

Anyway i installed linux on the LINUX partition and it was working fine. I then wanted to get my linux connected to the internet. I found an article in enable Network Manager. I typed the following code in terminal.

su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on'
su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManagerDispatcher on'
su -c '/sbin/service NetworkManager start; /sbin/service NetworkManagerDispatcher start'

came back with [OK] etc. exited the terminal and played around on linux for a while. Turned laptop off and went to bed!

Got up this morning wanting to get the laptop connected to my wireless router in my office. Whilst booting up it loaded like normal but when i chose Fedora the black screen came up with loading red hat 7 etc and wouldn't load. Basically i couldn't load linux but i could load XP media centre.

I decided to install a fresh copy. What a mistake! I bunged the CD in and rebooted came up with the screen to install etc. Selected install fresh copy and then it came up wanting to test the media on the CD and it basically got stuck everytime i wanted to go through.

ctrl alt delete a couple of times to try and sort it out. Didn't work so i logged in to XP and formatted the partition. Thought i'd start again. Now whenever i boot my latop all i get the the ACER screen to go into BIOS and this message.

Grub Loading stage 2...

(next screen)

grub>

now i'm really stuck. I can't remember where i installed LINUX apart from on the 4th partition which i think was sda4???

help??????
boot with your Xp CD in repair mode
code
fixmbr

clean your DVD drive and try in relaxed mood.If you have saved your DVD.iso in hard disk just copy it in to fat32 partition burn /images/boot.iso in CD boot with it and give option for HD install.

OR
Wait for few days FC8 is scheduled .

nick.stumpos
27th October 2007, 09:13 AM
ath that grub prompt type
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot

generollins
28th October 2007, 09:13 PM
ok tried that and got the recovery thing working but i used a backup CD that i created a few months back. I still get the

grub>