PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: To FC7 or not to FC7

NavyChief
26th October 2007, 07:31 PM
Here's the deal have 3 C2 Duo boxes running FC6, dedicated to FAH 24/7, nothing else.
everything is running SO SMOOTH. Do I really want to do the move to FC7?

you know, " If it ain't broke don't fix it" ??

Any insight would be appreciated.

bob
26th October 2007, 07:33 PM
You can read through the release notes for Fedora7 and Fedora8 and see if there's anything compelling that you'll gain. Otherwise, if you have it perfect now and don't need to do updates, why bother unless it's for security reasons since 6 will be at end-of-life by January.

Dan
26th October 2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Chief.

Short answer? No. It ain't broke.

I will not be updating this machine until F9 hits the streets. End of life means the developers finally quit tinkering with it, not that it quits working.

Fair winds.

Dan

NavyChief
26th October 2007, 08:22 PM
thanks, think I'll hold off for a while. will check around Jan. and decide then.

stevea
26th October 2007, 08:33 PM
Here's the deal have 3 C2 Duo boxes running FC6, dedicated to FAH 24/7, nothing else.
everything is running SO SMOOTH. Do I really want to do the move to FC7?

you know, " If it ain't broke don't fix it" ??

Any insight would be appreciated.

Let me suggest the boy scout motto, "be prepared". There is no reason to switch releases at this time, but it is time to start considering what would be necessary to switch. I'm often surprised at how config files for various packages have changes and how the various packages fit together and how new packages supplant old. It wouldn't hurt to install F8 (after it's release) and see what you need to get it tuned up.

OTOH you use 3x Core2 boxen dedicated to FoldingAtHome ??? You could power them down and it would make no operational difference in your life.

Why all the FAH ? What exactly is the point ? Hmmm at ~$1k/box and a power use around $500/yr/box you could contribute ~$2k+/yr to the Sigma Xi science education fund and make a much bigger impact. FAH was designed to use otherwise wasted cycles; there are better science investments and dedicated FAH engines.

FWIW the journal 'Science' had a feature article protein computation which makes reference to FAH in the past few weeks.

NavyChief
26th October 2007, 08:49 PM
Let me suggest the boy scout motto, "be prepared". There is no reason to switch releases at this time, but it is time to start considering what would be necessary to switch. I'm often surprised at how config files for various packages have changes and how the various packages fit together and how new packages supplant old. It wouldn't hurt to install F8 (after it's release) and see what you need to get it tuned up.

OTOH you use 3x Core2 boxen dedicated to FoldingAtHome ??? You could power them down and it would make no operational difference in your life.

Why all the FAH ? What exactly is the point ? Hmmm at ~$1k/box and a power use around $500/yr/box you could contribute ~$2k+/yr to the Sigma Xi science education fund and make a much bigger impact. FAH was designed to use otherwise wasted cycles; there are better science investments and dedicated FAH engines.

FWIW the journal 'Science' had a feature article protein computation which makes reference to FAH in the past few weeks.

Why you ask,

boy's and their toy's;
retired with no kids. it gives me somthing to play with when I'm not out rideing the harley.
ya and I over built that too, 107 cu. in S & S crate engine with 10:1 forged pistons
pushing 117 HP on the Dyno.

BTW I was thinking about adding a Q6600 based box to the FAH farm, they,re all home built, and again it gives me something to play with

stevea
26th October 2007, 09:57 PM
Why you ask,

boy's and their toy's;
retired with no kids. it gives me somthing to play with when I'm not out rideing the harley.
ya and I over built that too, 107 cu. in S & S crate engine with 10:1 forged pistons
pushing 117 HP on the Dyno.

BTW I was thinking about adding a Q6600 based box to the FAH farm, they,re all home built, and again it gives me something to play with

That's an answer I can appreciate, enjoy.

You won't get any better performance on FAH from F7 or F8 - so I wouldn't bother.
But at least you should run these headless (no video) and and set the disks to
mount noatime. Run powertop and look at ways to save power. Maybe even
make the next FAH system diskless (network boot) - then you can just run disk
service on one system w/ 1 disk.

best wishes,
-S