PDA

View Full Version : X Server is using a resolution my monitor can't see (I think...)

ear-lution
26th October 2007, 01:10 PM
Hi

Just installed Fedora Core 8 (kernel 2.6.23.1-31fc8 on an x86_64) onto my Xeon desktop as a dual-boot environment with Vista Business.

Initially I couldn't use the graphical install because after probing my graphics card (and correctly identifying my nvidia 6600), the scree went black and my monitor informed me the signal was out of range (LG 17" TFT 1280 x 1024).

So I tried the text install - fine (other than I can no longer access Vista :eek:, which is VERY scary - but that is a separate issue).
Upon first booting, it doesn't go straight into the GUI. Ok, I log in as root and try startx. Same thing happens, monitor goes out of range. startkde don't work either...

TIA

leigh123linux
26th October 2007, 01:25 PM
Hi

Just installed Fedora Core 8 (kernel 2.6.23.1-31fc8 on an x86_64) onto my Xeon desktop as a dual-boot environment with Vista Business.

Initially I couldn't use the graphical install because after probing my graphics card (and correctly identifying my nvidia 6600), the scree went black and my monitor informed me the signal was out of range (LG 17" TFT 1280 x 1024).

So I tried the text install - fine (other than I can no longer access Vista :eek:, which is VERY scary - but that is a separate issue).
Upon first booting, it doesn't go straight into the GUI. Ok, I log in as root and try startx. Same thing happens, monitor goes out of range. startkde don't work either...

TIA

Try hitting "Ctrl + Alt + F5" to bring up a terminal

then edit xorg.conf

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and change the driver for "nv" to "vesa"

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "G70 [GeForce 7600 GT]"
EndSection

to