PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions before downloading Fedora

Ptero-4
26th October 2007, 02:18 AM
Hi. I have been using ubuntu before, but wanted to try fedora, and wanted to know some stuff first:

1) does fedora have grub-gfxboot and bootsplash?

2) how do I add repos to yum? can I have more than one at a time?

3) how do I build rpm's off source code? how do I up-version my custom builds so yum won't overwrite them when security updates come?

4) how do I disable the root account to use sudo (like I used to do in ubuntu) and force gksu to use sudo instead of su?

5) do audio work in intel cards and 3D accel in intel GM945 (in gutsy I had problems with the GM945 3D accel and I don't know if it was distro related (only gutsy) or kernel/xorg related (every distro with kernel 2.6.22 and/or xorg-xserver 1.3))?

Dies
26th October 2007, 02:33 AM
1) No gfxboot for grub but you can use any grub you want so...

Fedora uses RHGB instead of usplash, bootsplash, etc.

Pros

Not a kernel hack

Cons

Not a kernel hack :D

It's not themable, at least not easily.

You will see some text at startup, but not much. At shutdown you will see nothing but text.

You can replace with bootsplash or whatever but it's not fun.

2) Installing repos typically just involves clicking a link at the site.

You can have more than one but it's not a good idea to mix repos, at least not till you know what you're doing. There is a plugin that can help in avoiding conflicts.

I install both Livna and Fresh but disable Fresh in the config file and call it from the command line when I need it. Most of what you need you'll find in Livna.

3) http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

Are a good start, you can exclude packages in /etc/yum.conf.

4) You can set up sudo just like any other distro, not sure about disabling the root account or gksu since I've never felt the need.

5) Audio is fine.

Someone else can vouch for video.

Ptero-4
26th October 2007, 06:29 AM
Are the splashutils already compiled for fedora 7 (and a kernel with bootsplash if possible)?

Also is there a 3rd-party repo for compiz-fusion and kiba-dock (that's why I asked about having multiple repos at once)?

I ask about bootsplash because I couldn't compile the bootsplash utils under ubuntu (the patch and custom kernel was possible after some fiddling).