PDA

View Full Version : accidentally deleted applications form panel in root.

MegaManZZ
26th October 2007, 12:44 AM
plz help me get it back.
i accidentally deleted the part from the top panel that says applications.. how can i fix this?

Dan
26th October 2007, 01:11 AM
Right click on the panel, and select Add to panel. Then select Menu bar. Then follow the logical steps from there.

Dan

Dies
26th October 2007, 01:14 AM
This just begs for the

"Why are you running as root?"

question. So there. :D

Dan
26th October 2007, 01:19 AM
Aye.

But, I think ever since F7, there has been an on-screen warning when logging into the root account. A person has to click [OK] or the equivilent to log in. After that, I must assume it's either an incurable optimism, plain foolishness, or determined wanton will to self abuse that drives them. <..:D..>

Dan

Dies
26th October 2007, 01:31 AM
Aye.

But, I think ever since F7, there has been an on-screen warning when logging into the root account. A person has to click [OK] or the equivilent to log in. After that, I must assume it's either an incurable optimism, plain foolishness, or determined wanton will to self abuse that drives them. <..:D..>

Dan

A warning? really?

I wouldn't know.

But seriously, I think it's going to take a severely broken "Root Desktop Experience" to stop people from doing it. :D

* Root Desktop Experience trademark 2008 Dumbass Industries.

Wayne
26th October 2007, 02:12 AM
Aye.

Dan

I remember that if you logged in as root on Mandrake/Mandriva, you were presented with a bright red desktop to remind you to log-out quick :eek:

Wayne

Dan
26th October 2007, 02:45 AM
A warning? really?

I wouldn't know.

But seriously, I think it's going to take a severely broken "Root Desktop Experience" to stop people from doing it. :D

* Root Desktop Experience trademark 2008 Dumbass Industries. ROTFL! That's a fact, Jack!

Dan

JN4OldSchool
26th October 2007, 03:03 AM
I remember that if you logged in as root on Mandrake/Mandriva, you were presented with a bright red desktop to remind you to log-out quick :eek:

Wayne

Mepis is the same, they have neat bomb icons on the wallpaper, at least the old version I have does. I do this with every distro first thing. I log into the root account from the greeter and change the wallpaper to bright solid red. It is usually the last time I ever log in as root, but if I ever do I have a constant reminder of where I am at. Danger Will Robinson, danger!

nick.stumpos
26th October 2007, 03:05 AM
gdm in sid wont let you log in as root, if you want a gui as root you need to logon in a text console than startx. I dont see why this shouldnt be default everywhere, I just cant think of a reason why you would ever need a full gui session as root