PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Fluxbox on boot

gizmobay
25th October 2007, 06:22 PM
I'm using FC6 x86_64. I've installed fluxbox and I'm trying to switch to fluxbox when booting by going under sessions at boot and checking fluxbox. I do this and kde still comes up. I installed Switchdesk and switchdesk-gui and tried this but KDE still comes up. Anyone know how to fix this?

scottro
25th October 2007, 11:02 PM
Hrrm, not sure why it doesn't work.

You could also just boot up in runlevel 3, text mode. (This is done by changing the line in /etc/inittab that reads

id:5:initdefault:

To
id:3:initdefault:

Then, do, while logged in as yourself

echo 'exec startfluxbox' >> .xinitrc

Then, type

startx

and you should be good to go. (Actually, first check .xinitrc to make sure there isn't anything like exec gnome-session or exec start-kde in there too.)

I remember I wrote a little script once that would, if you boot up in text mode, give you a nice little menu with the choices--if you're interested, I'll see if I can find it.

JN4OldSchool
25th October 2007, 11:19 PM
fluxbox should start from sessions, as will any other WM that I have used, and I have tried most this go-round. Maybe Flux isnt fully installed? but it still wouldnt default to KDE but go back to the greeter with the error. Very strange.

gizmobay
26th October 2007, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the help. Scottro's post worked at least to get me into fluxbox. The problem I have is getting wifi to work in fluxbox so I wanted to boot up in KDE and then logout and relogin under fluxbox hoping the wifi stays connected but since I can't use the session option I'm not sure how to do it. When I say issues with Wifi, I do an ifup wlan0 then a iwconfig shows that it's connected to the network with my WPA key but I can't access the newtork for some reason (route comes up blank).

I suspect the problem could be is I tried to upgrade with yum to F7 and I had some dependency issues so I bailed but when I boot it says Fedora 7 (Moonshine) but all my packages are .fc6 . Don't know if this is what's causing the issue.

gizmobay
26th October 2007, 05:52 AM
doh, I figured it out. I have auto-login and for some reason the session manager switch doesn't work with auto-login. I just have to change the session to fluxbox and then make sure I enter the user and password before auto-login takes over. Thanks