PDA

View Full Version : installing antivirus on linux makes trouble

pauler
25th October 2007, 12:29 PM
Hi, Our College is installing antivirus for Linux, Fedora Core 3 on 4 clients and a server. I can download and install Avast-Home Edition (Free), but when I try to run it, the only way it will work is by scanning only the home directory, standard scan. If I try to scan the entire system and/or do a thorough scan, the system freezes. It will lock up the entire computer and not recognize the keyboard or mouse so the only way to shutdown is to hold the power button. Every time I reboot, Avast makes me re-insert the registration key before allowing me access to the scanner. I have already uninstalled all previous versions/downloads of antivirus as well. Please help!

bob
25th October 2007, 12:36 PM
Try using Clam-AV instead: http://www.clamav.net/ Do a bit of reading in the Forum and on Google about Clam before using it. 'man clam' is also a good resource. Let's face it, Avast and AVG were Windows apps that were recently ported to linux and are not in a perfect environment.

sailor
25th October 2007, 03:11 PM
I found BitDefender to be fast and easy AV for linux
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/Download-Free-Products.html

But you know, I don't even bother anymore... found one virus in about 2 years and that was a e-mail attachment that simply had to be deleted.
I have had problems with F-Prot...not any of the others...I also tend to use the console to scan as it seems to be faster.

forkbomb
25th October 2007, 04:32 PM
Hi, Our College is installing antivirus for Linux, Fedora Core 3 on 4 clients and a server. I can download and install Avast-Home Edition (Free), but when I try to run it, the only way it will work is by scanning only the home directory, standard scan. If I try to scan the entire system and/or do a thorough scan, the system freezes. It will lock up the entire computer and not recognize the keyboard or mouse so the only way to shutdown is to hold the power button. Every time I reboot, Avast makes me re-insert the registration key before allowing me access to the scanner. I have already uninstalled all previous versions/downloads of antivirus as well. Please help!

Two questions:
1) Why Fedora 3? Fedora 8's about to be released...
2) Why have you deemed it necessary to run anti-virus software on a *nix platform at this point in time?