PDA

View Full Version : F8 x86_64 with Real Player plugins for Firefox?

drunkahol
24th October 2007, 06:47 PM
Has anyone got the Real Player 10 plugin for Firefox working under Fedora 8?

I know release hasn't happened yet, but I'm super keen and looking to make sure it works.

I've got a large number of plugins working already (yay for 64-bit Java - erm - I mean IcedTea plugins working under Firefox 64-bit).

I downloaded RealPlayer 10 and it works as expected. Just can't get the plugin working for Firefox.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Duncan

drunkahol
24th October 2007, 07:36 PM
OK - embarrassed to admit I hadn't actually configured Real Player to begin with, but now I have and still have the odd issue.

Audio streams play perfectly well within the embedded plugin, but video streams do not. I have to launch the video stream in a stand-alone player - from where they work perfectly. It's a solution that will work if it has to, but I'd like to get to the bottom of why the video player won't work when embedded.

Cheers

Duncan

saqer
25th October 2007, 12:11 AM
What player are you using to play Real Media? I assume you are talking about 64bit plugin; right?

Since you are testing FC8, can you please confirm whether IcedTea Java plugin works with Yahoo games, chess in particular?

leigh123linux
25th October 2007, 05:48 AM
What player are you using to play Real Media? I assume you are talking about 64bit plugin; right?

Since you are testing FC8, can you please confirm whether IcedTea Java plugin works with Yahoo games, chess in particular?

Icetea doesn't work with Yahoo games.

I didn't think there is a plugin for 64 bit firefox ? , but you can wrap it with nspluginwrapper .

Thetargos
25th October 2007, 09:15 AM
I didn't know there was an RP release for 64-bit Linux... Oh wait! There isn't one!

BTW you can get RP32-bit plugin working on 64-bit FF by using NSpluginWrapper.

drunkahol
25th October 2007, 11:03 AM
nspluginwrapper wasn't necessary to get the plugin working.

The configuration that RealPlayer did was all that I needed. I'd been planning to use only the 32-bit firefox, but icedtea requires 64-bit firefox somehow - probably due to me using the x86_64 install.

I may use the 32-bit install when F8 is finally released, but I'm really pleased with the firefox plugins under the 64-bit install.

From the Java pages I've tried, there are some that work perfectly, some that partly work and a few that just don't work. Can't be any more descriptive than that as I've only given it a quick test so far.

The biggest issue I've got is getting RealPlayer to run video while embedded in firefox.

Cheers

Duncan

Dangermouse
25th October 2007, 03:19 PM
Hello all havent done this in f8 but it works very well in f7 and im sure it can be done in f8 depending on livna,
but if you have realplayer10 installed embedded rm plays well in firefox-32 on my f7x64, without any tweaking and to play streaming rm, it takes only 5 min to set up, totem -xine to play them.
http://www.freewebs.com/dnmouse/streamingrminmplayer.htm
yum -y install firefox-32
If this is any help to anyone.

Dangermouse
25th October 2007, 05:07 PM
Hello i can confirm that that the realplayer plugins/codecs work in f8 using livna.development repo i was able to to play streamming and embedded rm, however it did not work on all rm files, for what reason some did and some didnt play, i have no idea.

leigh123linux
25th October 2007, 05:14 PM
Hello i can confirm that that the realplayer plugins/codecs work in f8 using livna.development repo i was able to to play streamming and embedded rm, however it did not work on all rm files, for what reason some did and some didnt play, i have no idea.

I can't stream anything from the BBC in F8 with mplayerplug-in , xine-plugin or realplayer plugin :(

Dangermouse
25th October 2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Leigh i just had go on the bbc site on news 24 ,and i could not play the rm it froze when it finished buffering, however i was able to play it in xine still by checking windows media player.

saqer
26th October 2007, 04:13 AM
well guys, now you can play real media using xine or mplayer because now there are 64 bit codecs for RealPlayer media. I use 64 bit xine and mplayer to listen an watch my realplayer media. Codes are here:

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/mplayer-codecs-20061022-1.x86_64.rpm
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/mplayer-codecs-extra-20061022-1.x86_64.rpm

Now, only if flashplugins come in 64 bit, I will be 32 bit free!

Dangermouse
26th October 2007, 09:07 AM
Pretty good saqer, i suppose you could use nspluginwrapper (http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/64-bit/flash64.shtml) personally its just easier for me to install firefox-32, have you tried gnash? i think it works on some embedded videos not alot though by the looks of it.

Thetargos
26th October 2007, 10:04 AM
gnash is very good, but it still uses a dated API, and action script version. I think they're at near completion of Flash v8 compatibility. Still a great project (if you only want Free software).

leigh123linux
26th October 2007, 10:14 AM
Pretty good saqer, i suppose you could use nspluginwrapper (http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/64-bit/flash64.shtml) personally its just easier for me to install firefox-32, have you tried gnash? i think it works on some embedded videos not alot though by the looks of it.

I tried gnash and it is poor , nspluginwrapper is 10X better and will play most flash content

saqer
26th October 2007, 03:00 PM
I use nspluginwrapper only for flash plugins because gnash is very poor at the moment. I use 64 bit firefox and I have xine-plugin and IcedTea java (from development). All my video codecs are 64 bit. Maybe it is just me that I find it a lot easier to use 64 bit firefox. I even do not have acrobat reader which is only 32 bit, and use xpdf and its utilities instead.