PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7.92 or rawhide

masterizaak
24th October 2007, 02:24 PM
I tried rawhide, and it was all messed up, the internet and screen, should I try fedora 7.92?

Wayne
24th October 2007, 02:39 PM
I tried rawhide, and it was all messed up, the internet and screen, should I try fedora 7.92?

It depends. If you're an experienced Linux user, use 7.92, beta test it and report any bugs to the developers. If you're a beginner then you should use Fedora 7.

Wayne

Dan
24th October 2007, 04:18 PM
I concur.

F7 is getting really nice now. It's hit the sweet spot in its life cycle!

Dan

-OCM770-
24th October 2007, 10:33 PM
I'd wait for F8 in november and do a yum update

masterizaak
25th October 2007, 04:03 AM
Thanks, I downloaded fedora 8, but I am not really an experienced linux user, so Ill go to fedora 7 :D

masterizaak
25th October 2007, 04:04 AM
and kudos for the forum, this was the fastest reply I ever had ;)

$Linux
25th October 2007, 04:13 AM
Thanks, I downloaded fedora 8, but I am not really an experienced linux user, so Ill go to fedora 7 :D

well if you go back to fedora 7 an when fedora 8 is going to come out on november 8th you going to change to fedora 8 again. so what i am trying to say is that it is no use to change back to fedora 7 because fedora 8 is coming out fast . :D

masterizaak
25th October 2007, 04:16 AM
well if you go back to fedora 7 an when fedora 8 is going to come out on november 8th you going to change to fedora 8 again. so what i am trying to say is that it is no use to change back to fedora 7 because fedora 8 is coming out fast . :D

oh ok, well Ill try fedora 8, and see how it is ;) then if anything happens ill have fedora 7 to fall back to :D

$Linux
25th October 2007, 04:19 AM
oh ok, well Ill try fedora 8, and see how it is ;) then if anything happens ill have fedora 7 to fall back to :D
well that is a good idea well of course fedora 8 is going to be good because fedora 8 developed from fedora 7 but still that is your choice well so did you go back to fedora 7 or you still running fedora 8. ??

Wayne
25th October 2007, 04:19 AM
You're being a bit optimistic :) Fedora 7 came out late (2 weeks or more) so it's safe to ASSume the same thing could happen with F8. Even if it does come out on time, there's no big rush to install it. I usually wait a few weeks till they issue a few updates and the third-party repos have filled up with all the 'extras' I want to install. For the OP, it would be good to get used to a stable F7 for a while for those reasons, let him find his way around the OS and ask all his questions. Because we've been using F7 for a while, we'll be able to point him in the right directions as we'll be getting used to F8's quirks too :p

Wayne

Wayne
25th October 2007, 04:21 AM

See my reply to $Linux as to why you should go with F7 and wait a while before going to F8 as well as F8 probably having bugs and you having to jump through hoops changing your repos and stuff when it is finally released. I wish people wouldn't tell newbies to go with untested software!

Wayne

masterizaak
25th October 2007, 05:34 AM
well that is a good idea well of course fedora 8 is going to be good because fedora 8 developed from fedora 7 but still that is your choice well so did you go back to fedora 7 or you still running fedora 8. ??

I am running fedora 8 and everything is good, but one thing, when I try to open the update software, I get an error.

Component: pirut
Summary: TB19ba829d __init__.py:158:pirutCDHandler:NameError: global name 'DBusException' is not defined

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/pup", line 614, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/sbin/pup", line 610, in main
pup.run()
File "/usr/sbin/pup", line 449, in run
self.doRefresh()
File "/usr/sbin/pup", line 267, in doRefresh
pbar = self.doRefreshRepos(destroy=False)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 302, in doRefreshRepos
self.reposSetup(pbar, thisrepo)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 268, in reposSetup
self.doTsSetup()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 64, in doTsSetup
return self._getTs()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 78, in _getTs
self._tsInfo.setDatabases(self.rpmdb, self.pkgSack)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 522, in <lambda>
pkgSack = property(fget=lambda self: self._getSacks(),
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 381, in _getSacks
self.repos.populateSack(which=repos)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py", line 239, in populateSack
sack.populate(repo, mdtype, callback, cacheonly)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 142, in populate
if self._check_db_version(repo, mydbtype):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 199, in _check_db_version
if repo.repoXML.repoData.has_key(mdtype):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 758, in <lambda>
repoXML = property(fget=lambda self: self._getRepoXML(),
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 750, in _getRepoXML
self._loadRepoXML(text=self)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 733, in _loadRepoXML
cache=self.http_caching == 'all')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 563, in _getFile
result = self.mediafunc(local = local, checkfunc = checkfunc, relative = relative, text = text, copy_local = copy_local, url = url, mediaid = self.mediaid, name = self.name, discnum = discnum, range = (start, end))
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 158, in pirutCDHandler
except DBusException, e:
NameError: global name 'DBusException' is not defined

Local variables in innermost frame:
cddevs: dbus.Array([dbus.String(u'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD__RW_DVD8881'), dbus.String(u'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_CDRWDVD_TS_H493A')], signature=dbus.Signature('s'))
hal: <Interface <ProxyObject wrapping <dbus._dbus.SystemBus (system) at 0x12f98f0> :1.4 /org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager at 0x1317850> implementing 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager' at 0x13178d0>
name: Fedora 7.92
self: <__main__.PackageUpdater object at 0x10358d0>
args: ()
umount: False
mediaid: 1191242166.874799
HalCD: <module 'pirut.HalCD' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/HalCD.pyc'>
dev: <pirut.HalCD.HALBlockDevice instance at 0x131b7a0>
discnum: 1
kwargs: {'mediaid': '1191242166.874799', 'name': 'Fedora 7.92', 'url': None, 'text': <yum.yumRepo.YumRepository object at 0x13098d0>, 'relative': 'repodata/repomd.xml', 'range': (None, None), 'checkfunc': (<bound method YumRepository._checkRepoXML of <yum.yumRepo.YumRepository object at 0x13098d0>>, (), {}), 'copy_local': 1, 'discnum': 1, 'local': '//var/cache/yum/InstallMedia/repomd.xml'}
found: False
cdudi: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD__RW_DVD8881

masterizaak
25th October 2007, 05:37 AM
See my reply to $Linux as to why you should go with F7 and wait a while before going to F8 as well as F8 probably having bugs and you having to jump through hoops changing your repos and stuff when it is finally released. I wish people wouldn't tell newbies to go with untested software!

Wayne

I saw it, so your suggestion is just to go with fedora 7? I already installed it :p, should I go back to fedora 7 or just try to make my way?

Wayne
25th October 2007, 05:37 AM
Sigh............................ :(

Wayne

Dan
25th October 2007, 05:41 AM
Right! A man with a spirit for adventure.

You've come this far, no sense in turning back. It'll be a "learning experience!"

forge on, good fellow!

Dan

masterizaak
25th October 2007, 06:00 AM
Right! A man with a spirit for adventure.

You've come this far, no sense in turning back. It'll be a "learning experience!"

forge on, good fellow!

Dan

I agree! I love trying new things, you help the community to solve bugs, and in the process, you have fun learning more :D

leigh123linux
25th October 2007, 06:01 AM
I am running fedora 8 and everything is good, but one thing, when I try to open the update software, I get an error.

Component: pirut
Summary: TB19ba829d __init__.py:158:pirutCDHandler:NameError: global name 'DBusException' is not defined

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/pup", line 614, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/sbin/pup", line 610, in main
pup.run()
File "/usr/sbin/pup", line 449, in run
self.doRefresh()
File "/usr/sbin/pup", line 267, in doRefresh
pbar = self.doRefreshRepos(destroy=False)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 302, in doRefreshRepos
self.reposSetup(pbar, thisrepo)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 268, in reposSetup
self.doTsSetup()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 64, in doTsSetup
return self._getTs()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 78, in _getTs
self._tsInfo.setDatabases(self.rpmdb, self.pkgSack)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 522, in <lambda>
pkgSack = property(fget=lambda self: self._getSacks(),
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 381, in _getSacks
self.repos.populateSack(which=repos)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py", line 239, in populateSack
sack.populate(repo, mdtype, callback, cacheonly)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 142, in populate
if self._check_db_version(repo, mydbtype):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 199, in _check_db_version
if repo.repoXML.repoData.has_key(mdtype):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 758, in <lambda>
repoXML = property(fget=lambda self: self._getRepoXML(),
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 750, in _getRepoXML
self._loadRepoXML(text=self)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 733, in _loadRepoXML
cache=self.http_caching == 'all')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 563, in _getFile
result = self.mediafunc(local = local, checkfunc = checkfunc, relative = relative, text = text, copy_local = copy_local, url = url, mediaid = self.mediaid, name = self.name, discnum = discnum, range = (start, end))
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 158, in pirutCDHandler
except DBusException, e:
NameError: global name 'DBusException' is not defined

Local variables in innermost frame:
cddevs: dbus.Array([dbus.String(u'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD__RW_DVD8881'), dbus.String(u'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_CDRWDVD_TS_H493A')], signature=dbus.Signature('s'))
hal: <Interface <ProxyObject wrapping <dbus._dbus.SystemBus (system) at 0x12f98f0> :1.4 /org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager at 0x1317850> implementing 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager' at 0x13178d0>
name: Fedora 7.92
self: <__main__.PackageUpdater object at 0x10358d0>
args: ()
umount: False
mediaid: 1191242166.874799
HalCD: <module 'pirut.HalCD' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/HalCD.pyc'>
dev: <pirut.HalCD.HALBlockDevice instance at 0x131b7a0>
discnum: 1
kwargs: {'mediaid': '1191242166.874799', 'name': 'Fedora 7.92', 'url': None, 'text': <yum.yumRepo.YumRepository object at 0x13098d0>, 'relative': 'repodata/repomd.xml', 'range': (None, None), 'checkfunc': (<bound method YumRepository._checkRepoXML of <yum.yumRepo.YumRepository object at 0x13098d0>>, (), {}), 'copy_local': 1, 'discnum': 1, 'local': '//var/cache/yum/InstallMedia/repomd.xml'}
found: False
cdudi: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD__RW_DVD8881

You need to disable the fedora repo and enable the development repo ( they are found in /etc/yum.repos.d/ )

or try using yum with these options ( --disablerepo-fedora --enablerepo=development )

su
yum --disablerepo=fedora --enablerepo=development update

Wayne
25th October 2007, 06:03 AM
I'd rather have a stable system so I can get things done, but I guess I'm strange in that respect :)

Wayne

leigh123linux
25th October 2007, 06:03 AM
I agree! I love trying new things, you help the community to solve bugs, and in the process, you have fun learning more :D

It isn't a bug :)

leigh123linux
25th October 2007, 06:09 AM
I'd rather have a stable system so I can get things done, but I guess I'm strange in that respect :)

Wayne

F8 is quite stable compared to a fresh F7 install , I have been using it since it the first test and have watched it shape up nicely ..

I'd rather have a stable system

P.S You have to try F8 first before you can call it unstable :) :p

Wayne
25th October 2007, 06:11 AM
It's been on my mind a lot. I really need to take a screwdriver to my system and re-arrange my hard disks on the cables first. But, on the other hand, F7 is so stable for me I'm loathe to touch it :)

Wayne

masterizaak
25th October 2007, 06:13 AM
You need to disable the fedora repo and enable the development repo ( they are found in /etc/yum.repos.d/ )

or try using yum with these options ( --disablerepo-fedora --enablerepo=development )

su
yum --disablerepo-fedora --enablerepo=development update

I got this

Command line error: no such option: --disablerepo-fedora

Dan
25th October 2007, 06:15 AM
It's been on my mind a lot. I really need to take a screwdriver to my system and re-arrange my hard disks on the cables first. But, on the other hand, F7 is so stable for me I'm loathe to touch it :)

WayneAye! Never would have messed with the F8 test versions if I hadn't had a "sacrificial" hard drive! <..:p..>

leigh123linux
25th October 2007, 06:23 AM
I got this

Command line error: no such option: --disablerepo-fedora

Slight typo ( the - should be a = )

su
yum --disablerepo=fedora --enablerepo=development update

Wayne
25th October 2007, 06:24 AM
Yeah, my main install is on a 40Gb drive and I have an 80Gb drive sitting doing nothing in the case. The 250Gb is full of.... ahem..... my DVDs, etc. So, I want to put that 40Gb as the last HD to use either as a backup HD or play around with stuff.

Umm, just stole this tagline from someone in another forum:

A Zen master walks into a pizzeria: “Luigi make me one with everything”

Wayne

masterizaak
25th October 2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks, it worked fine :), wheres the restricted drivers so I can turn on desktop effects? Or is there another way?

leigh123linux
25th October 2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks, it worked fine :), wheres the restricted drivers so I can turn on desktop effects? Or is there another way?
Install this release key from this link

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=881238&postcount=1

masterizaak
27th October 2007, 06:13 PM
Install this release key from this link

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=881238&postcount=1

When I try to update, it goes Unable to verify libuser-0.56.6-1.fc8.x86_64

Package libuser-0.56.6-1.fc8.x86_64.rpm is not signed

What should I do? and for some reason, java, yum, wont install on firefox :confused:

leigh123linux
27th October 2007, 07:08 PM
When I try to update, it goes Unable to verify libuser-0.56.6-1.fc8.x86_64

Package libuser-0.56.6-1.fc8.x86_64.rpm is not signed

What should I do? and for some reason, java, yum, wont install on firefox :confused:

Try

su
yum --nogpgcheck --disablerepo=fedora --enablerepo=development update

What should I do? and for some reason, java, yum, wont install on firefox

try

su
yum --nogpgcheck --disablerepo=fedora --enablerepo=development install java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin